Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Person, People, Human

How to spice up your uni room

Original ways to make your uni room feel like home

| UPDATED Cambridge how to room decoration uni room

So, you've moved in and are faced with the task of transforming your accommodation into a place that you can call home. If you are anything like me, you will have consulted various articles for inspiration on how to decorate, only to be bombarded with the same generic suggestion of "fairy lights!" over and over again. Now, don't get me wrong; my room is covered in amazon's finest 10 metre fairy lights. But for those of you looking for more ideas to jazz up your room, look no further.

Photos

Not exactly a groundbreaking idea, but sticking up photos all over your room is a uni staple for a reason. I highly recommend downloading an app such as FreePrints, which offers you 500 free photos a year with you only needing to pay delivery, meaning you can cover your room floor to ceiling with your pictures.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

As a bonus, a photo wall makes a great instagram backdrop. You're welcome

One twist I can recommend is to go and pick up a cheap film camera (you can get them for around £10 on Depop!). As someone who has always loved polaroids but has never been able to afford an Instax, a 35mm film camera is a great way to achieve the same charm to your photos at a much more affordable price.

Bunting

Hanging up bunting may sound like I'm suggesting that you turn your room into a 1940's village fete, but hear me out. Some pom pom bunting looks adorable hung around your room or above your bed, and is also the kind of item that is easy to find on sale in stores like John Lewis or Paperchase. These are a great way to inject a little bit of colour into your magnolia walls! Pick yourself up a pack of self adhesive picture hooks and you are good to go.

Image may contain: Text

Boujie on a budget

Cushions and Blankets

Before buying myself a couple of cushions to throw on my armchairs, I was incredibly sceptical of the idea, having thought that buying cushions would be a waste of my money. However, there is little better than a cheery cushion to save the ugly arm chair your college has randomly put in the corner of your room. The same goes for blankets; these can make any room look put together and soften the overall feel of you. Plus, both of these items are extremely cosy to snuggle with as winter comes into full force; a win for both style and comfort.

Plants and Flowers

Image may contain: Market, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

The market is a great place to pick up cut flowers and potted plants on the cheap!

Call me a stereotypical vegetarian, but in my humble opinion you can't go wrong with a couple of plants in your room. Cambridge is bursting with places to buy plants, from events such as the St John's Plant Sale or even from one of the many stalls in the Market place. M&S sells miniature roses for £5 that come already housed in a gorgeous pot, or for those looking for something a little easier to keep alive there is a stall on the market that sells three cacti for £10 (you can thank me later).

Posters

The poster is the ultimate way to both show off your personality and make your room look cute. Online platforms such as Redbubble and Etsy have a great selection of unique and artsy prints. Alternatively, you could hang up the poster from that play you went to see, or even of your favourite movie (as long as it's not the Pulp Fiction poster that literally everyone has). The same goes for any post cards you may have collected on your travels, or maybe even the tried and true "gap-yah" tapestry; anything that will fill up your empty walls!

A Diffuser

Most colleges sadly don't allow you to have candles in your room. So why not go for the next best thing and buy yourself a diffuser?

Image may contain: Text

What if I myself am a "smouldering item"?

Primark stock a great range of scents, with my personal favourite being the Pink Prosecco one. T K Maxx also has a huge selection, which has the added thrill of being able to find a previously expensive item for cheap.

Now, young padawan, go and Queer Eye your room and make it that bit more homely!