What’s On Week Four

We’re halfway through term! Chin up, and get cultured.

amirite Ben Pope Cambridge culture Frozen milo edwards what's on

MUSIC

I Strip For Couples, Saturday 17th May, Junction @ 8pm, £11.50

Apparently it’s actually a band…don’t worry, no nakedness.

Belinda Carlisle, Tuesday 20th May, Cambridge Corn Exchange @ 7:30pm, £29.50

Lead singer of the Go-Gos…haven’t heard of them. She sang ‘Heaven is a place on Earth’…yeah that one…yeah the one from the Butlins advert. Ahhh good times; all those people having fun, cycling in the woods, playing golf and tennis, lounging by the pool, renewing their wedding vows…ah escapism from the exam bubble.

FILM

Frozen, Sunday 18th May, St John’s Picturehouse @ 7/10pm

From Jennifer Lee (the writer/director behind Wreck It Ralph) comes Disney’s latest mega-budget animation Frozen. Catch it this Sunday at St John’s in full 35mm glory. It’s surprisingly warm.

The Trip to Italy (feature length cut) followed by a satellite Q&A with Coogan and Brydon, Wednesday 21st May, Arts Picturehouse @ 8.15pm

Fair enough, on paper The Trip to Italy doesn’t sound like much – two comedians on holiday in Italy, more or less playing themselves and having a chat. But throw in a few Michael Caine impressions, some beautiful images of Italy, and Winterbottom as director and the result is one of the most hilarious and unexpectedly moving TV shows to hit our screens in many years. On Wednesday, catch a satellite Q&A with Coogan and Brydon themselves at the Picturehouse, as well as a screening of the feature length cut of the series. Could be interesting to see how they measure up to their ‘fictionalised’ selves…

Maybe you’ll see them hold microphones

THEATRE

The Mark Liu Story Sat 17th, ADC @ 11pm, £6/5.

A dinosaur of the Cambridge comedy scene, the infamous Ken Cheng returns to the ADC Stage to explain—once and for all—the story behind his Mark Liu persona. An hour of stand-up, followed by hours of comedy hack networking.

A Clockwork Orange, Tue 20th – Sat 24th, ADC @ 7.45pm, £12/9

Dramatisation of Anthony Burgess’s famous novel. Come for the edifying violence; stay for the Beethoven.

Amirite? Fri 16th, ADC @ 11pm, £6/5.

Come see four stalwarts of the trade offer a new hour of stand-up. Reliably decent exam-term stress relief fare, and one of outgoing Footlights president Ben Pope’s last shows as a Cambridge student.

ELSEWHERE

Opening of the Lido on Jesus Green

Apparently it’s Britain’s longest outdoor pool? Who knew! It opened on May 10th, so take advantage of the good weather, and throw revision to the winds by donning a bikini and taking to the (probably rather cold) waters on Jesus Green.

Looks bracing!