Cantabs Have 3rd Best Uni Experience in Britain

Cambridge is the third best uni in the country for student experience, a THE survey finds – one place BEHIND Oxford.

best beth swords Cambridge May Week Oxford sheffield university Student Experience tom porteous photography

The Times Higher Education (THE) survey into student experience has placed Cambridge joint third with Sheffield University. Oxford came in at second and the University of East Anglia topped the tables.

The survey of 12,000 students asked ratings of the quality of lectures, staff, social life and accommodation.

Oxford University was recognised as the best centre for its quality of staff and lectures, Sheffield as having the best students’ union and London School of Economics as the best place for industry connections. However, the buildings and learning environments in Cambridge were noted as its best assets, further consolidated by the prospect of a £1bn project to develop the West Cambridge site in the near future.

Credit: Tom Porteous

One student from Pembroke College was outraged by the news. “Yes, top three is commendable, but Oxford above us makes it less of an achievement. The fact alone we have May Week after exams should mean our quality of social life far surpasses theirs.”

THE suggests that this year, more so than in previous years, the ‘whole experience’ beyond academia has been key.

John Gill, THE editor, said: “With the Government’s higher education reforms ramping up levels of competition in the sector, improving the student experience has never been a greater priority for universities.”

Cambridge Students are found, on average, to spend 28 hours a year punting

“The THE Student Experience Survey aims to provide a snapshot of which universities are performing well in this area, and while no single institution can ever offer a blueprint for others simply to replicate, it should be possible to learn lessons from those universities that appear to be getting most things right.”

Whilst Cantabs are regularly found moaning about the intense workload and terrible nightclubs, it looks like, on the whole, we have little to complain about.