College Football: Week 4 Roundup

Keep up with the latest action from Division 1.

2.1 battle caius christs College college division 1 division 1 downing emma football jesus King's Queens' relegation Selwyn

Scott and Marsden are the Caius to success

by Will Pithers

Caius clinched a priceless three points to lift themselves clear of the relegation zone and into eighth place in Division I, with Queen’s’ failing to profit from a late period of pressure.

Caius started the brighter, as was the case in last week’s cup affair with Trinity. With a quarter of an hour gone, the blues capitalised on their early possession and, breaking smartly from a Queens’ corner, found the back of the net through striker Tom Scott.

The second half continued in a similar vein, with the Caius defence largely untroubled and wide play posing a constant attacking threat. Yerolemou’s mazy run from a throw-in saw him reach the by-line, before he cut back for Marsden to slot in at the near post.

At 2-0, the game looked beyond Queens’, but they quickly grew into the game as Caius stepped off the gas. Crawford was impressive down the right, and more varied movement in the midfield began to trouble the home defence. A decent ball from the left put Alex Knight through on the goal, who made no mistake in dispatching the ball past the onrushing ‘keeper.

Caius held out though and gained a much sought-after win. They may now start to believe that they have enough to remain in this Division come the end of season.

Selwyn in trouble after Downing’s treat

by Rob Dunn

Downing kept their league title hopes intact on Saturday morning with a confident win against Selwyn, scoring four without reply. The victory places them just one point behind leaders Fitz, who drew with Homerton.

The Magenta Men continued their run of good form, with four different players getting on the scoresheet. Whilst Selwyn did show some quality, they know they are going into the last three games with a fight on their hands to avoid the drop.

After an uncharacteristic penalty miss by the prolific Burley, the deadlock was broken a few minutes before half time. A long Churcher throw was flicked on by the powerful Guest, and the ball fell to Stevens who poked home from close range. Despite some improvements from Selwyn, Downing probably deserved the half-time lead.

Foster’s Selwyn side came out in the second half sensing an equaliser. Downing however soon reasserted their domination, their passing crisper, and tackles harder. This soon led to a second goal, another threatening ball into the box falling to Glasgow to score his second of the season from five yards out.

This then became three when Hanson dispatched an in-swinging corner with a strong header, and then four, Burley converting clinically from a tight angle after a Stevens through ball. Game over.

Both sides have huge games on the horizon: Downing will have to do the business against Homerton to stand a chance of winning the league, whilst Selwyn desperately need a result against rock-bottom Emma in order to survive. It’s all building nicely to a thrilling finale.

High Five for Christ’s is enough to see off King’s

by Ben McNally

Harrison was the hat-trick hero for Christ’s on a day to forget for the King’s defence. The result sees Christ’s leapfrong King’s into the top half of the table.

After a dull opening a moment of magic from King’s midfielder Chris Fountain sparked the game into life. Picking up the ball midway inside the Christ’s half, he skipped past numerous despairing challenges before finishing cooly with his left foot.

However, the game turned on its head in the final five minutes of the half as Christ’s hit back not once but twice. First a free-kick was whipped in by Chris Blake and headed home well by Stephen Harrison. Almost immediately from the centre, Harrison then sprang the offside trap and finished at the second attempt past Greenbury to give Christ’s an undeserved lead on the stroke of half time.

Fountain’s brilliance brought King’s level again though. He picked a loose ball up about 25 yards out and drove an unstoppable strike into the top corner. Christ’s snatched the lead straight back, Morgan slotting a penalty after McNally handled.

Fountain continued to drive King’s on, aided by strong interplay with Grigg, as King’s looked to get back into the game. Grigg himself was unlucky to see a left-foot strike flash across the face of the goal following a mazy run. Finally, Schiebler was released by Grigg and finished well one-on-one. Hooton and Schiebler then exchanged goals to leave the score at 4-4.

The was still more to come. As the game moved into injury time, a defence splitting pass released Harrison to complete his hat-trick, although there were strong hints of offside. His initial attempt was brilliantly saved by Greenbury but he was the first to seize upon the rebound, and slid it home, much to the elation of his side. King’s were left to rue a poor defensive showing cost them the chance of all three points.

In the other games, Fitz and Homerton drew 1-1, and Jesus hammered Emma 9-1 to keep themselves in the hunt for league. Things look ever bleaker for Emma though, rock bottom without a point from their six games.