Queens’ Thrash Magdalene to Stay Up

Queens’ dominated Magdalene, sending them down into the second division, ahead of the start of the new season.

Magdalene magdalene rugby Queen's College Rugby

Queens’ confirmed their first division status in their early-season relegation decider, beating Magdalene 36-5. The Green and Whites ran in six tries, all created by the backs in an entertaining display.

In truth, despite their late slump last year, Queens’ were always favourites for this game after a brilliant start including a famous result against St. John’s. Despite a strong wind against them it took only 5 minutes to record their first try, moving the ball wide quickly where their winger Zac Baynham-Herd, barged through the tackle of Magdalene’s Andrew Webster and ran clear to the line. The points were added and 7 was soon 14 after Spike Strang crossed in the left-hand corner.

The game then began to follow a fairly predictable pattern- the teams were well matched up front, with Magdalene’s size advantage cancelled out by dynamic rucking by the Queens’ pack, marshalled by Adam Sullivan.

It was in the backs however that Queens’ asserted their dominance, as the ball was shifted between hands with a fluidity and subtlety which Magdalene simply couldn’t match. The frequency with which the line was broken was only ever going to produce one result and Magdalene went in at half-time 21-0 in arrears.

They had in fact spent the last eight minutes of the half camped in their opponents’ 22 but sloppy handling let them down. Only the strength of the wind prevented Queens’ from clearing their lines.

The use of the breeze in the second half demonstrated the relative tactical strength of the two sides. In defence, Queens’ kicked often and well and were able to dominate territory. Meanwhile the Magdalene rear-guard had an element of farce about it – they seemed unable to grasp that high kicks would catch in the wind and several times actually lost ground from their own clearances.

Queens’ notched up three more tries through Helliwell, Strang and their captain, Calum Roberts in the second half but great credit must be given to the Magdalene pack whose efforts were tireless despite the loss of their first-half talisman, George Morissey. This paid off in the final play of the game where fresher, Laurence Orchard, crossed for a five point consolation.

Speaking to the Tab after the game, victorious captain, Roberts panted: “I’m really chuffed with the performance, particularly as it was the first of the season.

“The team have gelled well, especially the freshers, and should do well this season. I’m looking forward to another year in the top flight.

“Magdalene stuck at their task well, and were rightly rewarded with a try at the end.”

Magdalene’s Morissey was philosophical about defeat, saying: “Being in the second division is hardly the end of the world. It should give us a chance to win a few games and to grant some experience to what looks like a really strong fresher intake.”

Both teams will start their league campaigns in a week-and-a-half’s time and you can follow every weekend right here on The Tab.

Photographs courtesy of Anna Soler