Uncertainty for Gilmour Inside and Out

Next term Girton will decide if Charlie Gilmour can return to Cambridge after prison. Meanwhile he faces discipline in his new prison for smuggling.

CACHE charlie gilmour Elton John girton Papatya Sutcliffe prison prison official sent down smuggling student protest visit Wadnsworth

The Tab has learned that Girton will decide next term whether or not Charlie Gilmour can return as a student.

Gilmour was sentenced to sixteen months in prison for throwing a bin at the car of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall’s bodyguards. The incident occurred during the student protests in London last December. His actions, which also included swinging from the cenotaph, were described by Judge Nicholas Page as: “outrageous and deeply offensive”.

Girton refuse to comment on whether Gilmour will be allowed to return to his studies, but a University representative confirmed: “The issue will go to the College Council next term.”

Rosie O’Neill, CUSU’s Welfare and Rights Officer, said Gilmour’s widely-criticized prison sentence should not be a barrier to future education.

She said: “CUSU believes in equal access to education for all. Any student who has completed a penal sentence should not be further vilified by any bar or penalty in continuing their education”

The act that bought Gilmour infamy

Leave them quids alone

Meanwhile, Gilmour has also landed himself in trouble on the inside. He was recently caught ‘smuggling’ three £1 coins into his new prison after an hour-long visiting session. Though a seemingly trivial amount, a prison source said: “£3 goes a long way in prison and could be used to buy illegal items.

“Charlie is in real trouble and he could lose his privileges. The matter could also affect his ultimate parole date.”

He is likely to be taken before the prisoner Governor to explain himself, and could face having his collections of books taken away. The books were sent to him by godfather Elton John to keep him occupied.

It comes after Gilmour was moved from high-security Wandsworth Prison to the more ‘soft’ Wayland Prison, a Category C prison in Norfolk. Having previously shared a small cell with a convicted bank robber, he now has a room three times as big equipped with a TV.

Bruce Beckles, a member of the Cambridge Academic Campaign for Higher Education (CACHE), welcomed the move, telling The Tab: “Mr Gilmour is at worst a Category C prisoner and so should be in a Category C Prison. Wayland is clearly a more suitable prison.”

Gilmour has appealed against his sentence, but as yet, no decisions have been made on the case.

Do you think Gilmour should be allowed to return to his studies?