The Human League

COTTIA THOROWGOOD: “Although the tangible fusion between performers and audience was based as much on solidarity of years as much as the music itself, the catchy beats dragged us to the dance floor”

1980' dance 80's Music pop review synth The Corn Exchange the human league

The Corn Exchange, 11th of December.

[rating:4/5]

So I may have been born in the 80s, but last night, as I walked into a room of heads bopping to the Star Trek-like beats and visuals on stage, it was very apparent that I was not a bopper back then.

.

Although I could not quite shake off my associations of the Corn Exchange with exams, The Human League transformed the space into a psyched-up forum of fans, fully absorbed by the synthesised beats.  In front of a medley of flashing lights and futuristic cinematography, they filled the venue with energy; Philip Oakey strode back and forth between Joanne Catherall and Susan Ann Sulley, and their epic arm moves.  In particular, I was very taken with Sulley, who rather resembled Gwen Stefani, with a hint of Lady Gaga in her costume – all angles, shoulders and blondness.  The night spectacularly climaxed with Don’t You Want Me Baby, that should at least ring a bell for those of you not familiar with the enduring trio.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPudE8nDog0

I definitely felt that I had missed the boat amongst a generation who it seemed had experienced the 80s together, showing off their dated dance moves in that thriving hall – when the crowd sung We’ll Always Be Together it definitely meant more to them than me.  But, although the tangible fusion between performers and audience was based as much on solidarity of years as much as the music itself, the catchy beats dragged us to the dance floor, and it was an electric night.