Lottie Unwin: Drama Queen

Our resident Drama Queen’s guide to what’s on in Week 7.

A Taste of Honey ADC Boat Charlie Boorman Cherry and Blossom Corn Exchange Corpus Playrooms Cripps Court Fitzpatrick Hall Footlights Footlights Spring Revue Friends of the Peterhouse Theatre Gypsy Homerton Orchard Jesterlarf Comedy Max Barton Mumford Murder in the Play No Magic Pembroke New Cellars Quality Street Shine Skylight The Cambridge Arts Theatre The Junction The Last Five Years The Woman in Black

I've got the hang of this Cambridge term thing: do your work, get up early, go to the theatre every now and again.  I am not stressed and up at eight ready to work.  Not going out might be the way to stay sane, but in a horrendous catch 22 staying in is completely mind-numbing.  'Find a middle ground', I hear my mother suggest (she’s liberal and all embracing of the occasional bender.  She finds hungover me hilarious) but we both know that while my limits are an enigma but I am well versed in how to write off a Monday or Thursday.  With four to go I intend to spend those days as they were intended, in bed.  There is a lot going on next week, so luckily I can get out of college with respectable pretence. 

Last week in a nice and consistent inversion of almost all of TCS and Varsity’s ratings, our favourite theatre was The Merchant of Venice and least, Loving Leticia, proving that student journalism in Cambridge caters for those of all opinions.  

This week’s line up is as follows:

A Taste of Honey – 7.30  – Monday 29th at the Mumford Theatre.  £8-10. 

‘Shelagh Delaney was just nineteen when she wrote A Taste of Honey’.  I am nineteen and I would never put anyone through watching a play I have written, but I suspect Delaney is something a bit special.  It says in the blurb, ‘Suitable for ages 12+ (but likely to appeal more to 14+)’ and I think there is a case to be made for going simply to find out what those two years make so much more appealing. 

The Woman in Black – 7.45 and 2.30 on Thursday and Saturday – Monday 1st – Saturday 6th at the Cambridge Arts Theatre. £10-27.

‘Now in its 21st year in the West End, over 7 million people have lived to tell thetale of one of the most chilling and successful theatre events ever staged.?’  Hold your comment section insults right there, ‘thetale’ is actually what is says on the Arts website, but that doesn’t dampen the impact of this iconic show’s statistical success.  It’s one of those things that everyone has seen and that everyone says is great.  

Skylight – 7.00 – Tuesday 2nd – Saturday 6th at the Corpus Playrooms.  £5-6. 

After Tom and Kyra come back into each others lives they ‘desperately try to come to terms with their past… He may have the wealth, but who has the power???"Kyra. Kyra, I'm back…" It sounds absolutely terrifying but incongruously this play isn’t supposed to be scary in the slightest.  Wikipedia tells me they have sex on stage while the actress really cooks spaghetti in front of us, which evidently can’t be missed. 

Quality Street – 7.30 – Tuesday 2nd – Saturday 6th at the Pembroke New Cellars.  £4

This is a bit like watching the making of history.  J.M Barrie’s play actually inspired the name of the chocolate selection integral to every family Christmas.  And, there’s a story where ‘the light-hearted deception mounts to a crisis, with hilarious complications, and a heart-warming conclusion’ thrown in for good measure. 

The Last Five Years – 7.30 – Tuesday 2nd – Saturday 6th at Fitzpatrick Hall, Queens College.  £7-5. 

'The audience sees Jamie’s account' of his marriage breaking down, 'in chronological order, whilst' wife 'Cathy’s experience is in reverse, the two characters meeting only once in the middle at their engagement and wedding. This is a beautiful and challenging addition to the Cambridge musical theatre scene.’  I really think it might be, though it’s an awfully big stage and awfully big shoes for Dan Garsin and Catherine Harrison to fill.  No pressure. 

Footlights Spring Revue – 7.30 and 2.30 on Saturday – Tuesday 2nd – Saturday 6th at ADC Theatre. £6-8 on the 2nd-3rd and £8-10 on 4th-6th. 

Only a show with such an incredible reputation can get away with such complicated pricing. ‘It’s sold out for the last four years in a row, and ‘People Watching’ promises to be another smash hit from the world famous comedy club.’ Unfortunately it’s sold out, again. 

Cherry and Blosson: The Girls Can’t Help It – 9.30 – Tuesday 2nd – Saturday 6th at the Corpus Playrooms.  £4-6. 

‘An Envelope. A Gilt Edged Invitation. Intricate Calligraphy. The Heady Scent of Fine Perfume’, oh yes please.  But, then, as I contemplate what feathers to put in my hair, with ‘treats’ for those who make a 1920’s effort, I remember like a slap in the face on a windy day that it’s in the strange Playrooms not a New York department store, though, I am still allowed to dream.  

The Charlie Boorman Show – 7.30 – Wednesday 3rd at The Corn Exchange. £18.50

It’s what it sounds like – Charlie Boorman doing a show.  I was sure that he couldn't just be famous for being Ewan McGregor’s friend, but some googling has informed me that more or less that is the case. He will be telling stories of his travels, presumably with McGregor, though I don’t think the man himself will make an appearance.  They just might have mentioned that in the name if so.  

Gypsy – 7.45 – Wednesday 3rd – Saturday 6th at Cripps Court, Magdalene. £4-7. 

'Gypsy' is one of the all-time classic pieces of American musical theatre’ says the publicity officer of the Cripps Court production, and theatre critic Clive Barnes praised Gypsy herself as ‘one of the few truly complex characters in the American musical’.  Speaking personally, as someone that finds musicals awful, always, neither statement excites me.  But, like fetishes or putting ketchup on food where you really shouldn’t we all know we have tastes that are in the minority. 

No Magic – 11.00 – Wednesday 3rd – Saturday 6th at the ADC Theatre. £4-5. 

Other than the fact that a lot of my friends are involved in this, I have absolutely no reason to promote it.  Everyone should go.  Max Barton has written it, directed it and is in it, so you can conveniently shroud a crush, or a bitch, behind the pretence of post-show evaluation. 

Murder in the Play – 7.30 – Thursday 4th – Saturday 6th at The Friends of Peterhouse Theatre. £4-5. 

“I've….been…murdered!' but 'The show must go on…' A (not very good) theatre company attempt to stage a production of Murder at Priorswell Manor’.  Don’t panic, although I did as well.  The theatre company is part of the plot, not a self-deprecating search for sympathy. 

Shine – 7.30 and 2.30 on Saturday – Friday 5th – Saturday 6th at the Mumford Theatre. £4-8. 

‘Cambridge University Tap & Jazz Dance Society invites you to watch its members shine in their annual show. Get ready for a kaleidoscopic display of pizzazz and entertainment!’  The pun on ‘shine’ and the word ‘pizzazz’ are both close to the bone and in such close proximity to each other, it’s unforgivable.  

Jesterlarf Comedy – 8.30 – Friday 5th March at The Junction. £12. 

The monthly night returns, with promise of a cabaret style layout, which I think means tables.  Everyone loves a table, especially us at Homerton who are wrongly deprived of them in all accommodation, nicely served up with some comedy.  Easy sell. 

Boat – 8.00 – Saturday 6th – Tuesday 9th in Homerton Orchard. 

Why does my dear college do so little to show itself in its best light?  Late at night on what will inevitably be a rainy, cold night is no time to frolic amongst our apple trees, gathering fruits to make into chutney. Equally, I am not entirely sure it’s the moment to ‘mix physical theatre, music, new writing and acting in a unique and thrilling performance’ but you never know.