Image may contain: Label, Crowd, Sunglasses, Accessories, Accessory, Word, Clothing, Apparel, Shoe, Footwear, Person, Human, Banner, Text

Bristol, Cut the Rent wins £300k in rent cuts, bursary increases and compensation

This comes after months of rent strikes in UoB owned halls

Bristol, Cut the Rent announced yesterday that they have won £300k worth of rent cuts, bursary increases and compensation from the University.

The announcement comes in a joint statement signed by Bristol, Cut the Rent, the University and the SU.

Concessions made by UoB include a £100,000 increase in the accommodation bursary pot for 2020/21, taking the total up to £300,000. The University have also agreed to £130,000 in rent cuts in halls for this year, meaning that current students will pay significantly less than those last year.

Students in New Bridewell, who have experienced ongoing water and cladding problems, will be granted £60,000 worth of compensation.

The agreement has been reached after months of protests and rent strikes, which saw 162 students in Uni halls of residences abstaining from paying rent.

Read Bristol, Cut the Rent's full statement on facebook.

// BRISTOL, CUT THE RENT WINS £300K IN RENT CUTS, BURSARY INCREASES AND COMPENSATION //After months of a rent strike…

Posted by Bristol, Cut the Rent on Wednesday, November 6, 2019