A-Z of Freshers: Part 2

The hotly-anticipated part 2 of our A-Z of the delights of life in Bristol

| UPDATED Bristol freshers Bristol Zoo university of bristol yo yo burger

N – Nights Out

Bristol has some of the most diverse nightlife anywhere in the country and offers a huge range of genres and venues. Check out our Nightlife Guide for the lowdown..

O – Open spaces

Bristol is greener than a hippie’s wet dream. The Downs in particular are absolutely enormous, and they are utilised by the University’s sports teams in the day and just as vigorously by doggers in the evening. You’ve been warned.

P – Park Street

Park Street conveniently links the city centre to the university campus and is lined with independent shops, bars and clubs making it a hub of activity at night.  Wills Memorial Building stands tall at the top of the street, and provides an excellent argument for capitalism if ever there was one.

Q – Queen’s road

Queen’s road houses the Student Union. What used to be a great shout for the ugliest building in Bristol, it contains the obligatory bar, theatres and… er… swimming pool. The enclosed Anson rooms are used for a huge range of activities including club nights, live music and of course, organised Nerf battles. You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who actually goes there though. The building also plays host to the student….

R – Radio

Burst Radio has been going since 1995. Having moved into a new studio in the recently refurbished union building, Burst is getting bigger and bigger. Esteemed previous presenters include Chris Cox and David Sheppard (no, me neither).

S – Stoke Bishop

The Stoke Bishop campus houses over 2000 freshers in 6 halls, making it the indisputable social base of first year. However, you’ll want the bus to get there and the nearest drinking establishment is a trek away. Luckily though, someone thought of this, and each hall has its own bar. Even better is that two or three of them are actually pretty decent.

T – Triangle

The Triangle – home of the slow-moving nightclub queue

Probably the hub of student nightlife, full of lively clubs and bars. Three guesses where its name comes from.

U – Unite

City centre housing at it’s finest in a great location. You’ll have payed a premium for it though and it’s not the most sociable of halls. Oh and if you think you’re getting your deposit back, well, then Unite are already laughing.

V- Victoria Rooms

One of the most recognisable buildings in Bristol. It looks like the Pantheon and comes with its own fountain, which you probably will have waded into at some point by the end of the year.

W – Wills Hall

Bristol’s Oxbridge imitation: Wills Hall

Notorious for being snottier than a toddler’s upper lip, Wills Hall is arguably the most iconic of all the halls in Stoke Bishop. It comes with its own squash and tennis courts and possesses an excellent bar. Don’t expect to be welcomed in as an outsider though…

X – (E)xhibition cider

The world famous Cori Tap houses its very own cider: Exibition. Brewed by Thatchers specifically for the Tap, its lethal strength means its only served in half pints.

Y – Yoyo Burger

Burger Mecca

Bristol’s premier gourmet burger joint, located on the Triangle. Their speciality burgers include wild boar, bison, ostrich kangaroo and springbok. You can also get an entire lobster in a bun if that’s your thing. Fun fact: it’s also the only thing in Bristol beginning with ‘Y’.

Z – Zoo

Bristol zoo is easily one of the country’s best. Located in clifton, it’s an excellent day trip option and with attractions such as the walk-in aviary and the new lion cubs, it’s always going to be a winner.