The Bristol Pear has requested planning permission for a beer garden

The garden will have a separate bar serving from 9am-11pm

The Bristol Pear has applied to the council for planning permission to create a beer garden at the back of the property, The Birmingham Tab can confirm.

The garden will include a bar, which will be permitted to sell alcohol from 9am to 11pm.

The development will occur at the back of the pub, outside by the stairs to go to the first floor.

Pub gardens will be able to open from April 12, as outlined by the government’s roadmap for lifting lockdown. Currently without much outdoor seating, the pub will not be opening on that date.

The Bristol Pear’s website states that it is due to re-open on May 17 and they are currently taking bookings.

The development has received mixed reactions. A flyer has been distributed to those living near the pub, which warns of the “major disruption” if the proposal is allowed to go ahead.

A Birmingham City Council spokesperson told The Birmingham Tab: “The premises is already permitted to open Monday – Sunday, 7am-1.30am and sell alcohol 9am-1am. The application seeks permission to put a bar in the beer garden and sell alcohol between hours of 9am to 11pm.

“This has been sent to the responsible authorities and we will review any representations we receive as part of the licensing process.”

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• Women’s History Month: we caught up with UoB’s strong and striking women and non-binary people

• What your favourite Brum lockdown walk says about you

• UoB’s best-dressed on campus are stylish enough to make Eastwood download Depop