Party goers travelled over 200 miles to attend a lockdown student party in Birmingham

Some of them had travelled from as far as Newcastle and London

A student party involving 50 people on Friday night in Lower Loveday Street, Birmingham, was stopped by West Midlands Police and involved people travelling from over 200 miles away.

Once the police entered some of the guests were discovered hiding in cupboards in the private accommodation which is used mainly by students from Aston University and University College Birmingham.

Some of the people attending the event had come from as far as Newcastle, London and Nottingham.

With the dozens of guests involved, the police issued 58 fines of £200 and five of £1,000. West Midlands Police confirmed one officer was assaulted as one guest made off but was not hurt.

Insp Steve Barnes reported on the incident: “We understand that young people are frustrated at not being able to enjoy themselves and I do feel their pain, but we have to stick to the rules so that we can get back to some sort of normality sooner rather than later.

“People are dying and we have to prevent the spread of this virus.”

This party occurred despite the whole of England being in a national lockdown to halt the spread of coronavirus. As the new variant of coronavirus announced back in December may even be more deadly. The party occurs at a time when the UK’s coronavirus death toll is fast approaching 100,000.

Since last Thursday, Priti Patel, the Home Secretary announced during a coronavirus press briefing fines of £800 would be given to anyone attending a house party with over 15 people.

“To them my message is clear. If you don’t follow rules then the police will enforce them,” Priti said.

This is not the only breach of lockdown rules to occur with young people in the Birmingham area. Back in October Lab 11 was fined £10,000 for breaking coronavirus rules after hosting an event with over 120 people.