UoB will be rolling out asymptomatic mass testing again for returning students from January

Students will be able to get tested again from 5 January to 5 February

The university will be providing free, rapid tests from 5 January to 5 February for returning students, and bookings for the tests are now open.

The lateral flow device testing in the Great Hall, which ran from 2-9 December previously provided students with a window to return home for Christmas, after they received a negative test.

The voluntary testing is aimed towards students with no symptoms, and students will be required to take two tests three days apart before students are allowed to utilize campus facilities.

In an email sent to all students on 14 December, UoB outlined its plans for testing asymptomatic students from January. “By making our booking system available now, you can plan your return and testing appointments in advance. Taking two tests, at intervals, provides additional reassurance, that you can resume on-campus and in-person activities more safely.”

Amy, human biology student at UoB previously spoke about the first roll out of mass testing at UoB, “results came back within 4o minutes of the test. It was very well organised and there were always people there to help you if you got confused, she told The Birmingham Tab.

UoB further outlined, students will have to make multiple bookings for the separate tests. “Our booking system only allows for one booking at a time, so you will need to book both tests separately, by following the link in your confirmation e-mail from your first test booking.”

UoB wants to ensure the campus remains safe and students in-between their separate tests shouldn’t use the campus facilities until they receive negative results. “In-between tests please do not use any on-campus facilities and you should not attend any in-person teaching activities until you have received two negative tests,” they said.

Anyone concerned about the current coronavirus outbreak can find guidance from the university here.