Breaking News

Breaking: Suspected case of coronavirus in Birmingham Business School

An email was sent from the head of the business school this evening

A University of Birmingham Business School staff member is suspected of having coronavirus, The Birmingham Tab can reveal.

An email was sent to students of the business school at 5.50pm this evening from the head of the business school.

The staff member in question is revealed to be an Emeritus professor and they are currently being cared for in hospital, although it has not been confirmed to be an instance of COVID-19.

The email stated that they “understand this development might be a cause for concern.”

“Our immediate concern is for the affected individual and their family along with th health and continued wellbeing of our staff, students and visitors.

“If the case is confirmed as COVID-19 and there is a risk of infection, you will be contacted directly with further advice and steps to take.”

A spokesperson for the University of Birmingham told The Birmingham Tab that “we confirm a suspected case of COVID-19 has been identified within the University’s Business School. We understand this development will be a cause for concern. Our understanding is that the member of staff has not been on campus since 5 March and that the risk to staff and students is therefore minimal.

“Our immediate concern is for the affected individual and their family along with the health and continued wellbeing of our staff, students and visitors.  The member of staff is currently being cared for in hospital. The University is continuing to monitor the situation and will take appropriate measures in line with PHE advice.

“We are accelerating plans to move to online teaching and homeworking and to significantly reduce campus operations.

“We encourage staff and students to read the latest guidance on the intranet and our FAQS which continue to be updated in line with the latest PHE advice. Anyone with concerns about their health in relation to suspected novel coronavirus, should go to NHS 111 online and follow PHE advice.”

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as The Birmingham Tab learns more information.

.