Five UoB vegan Instagrams you didn’t know you needed

get ready for some serious food porn

With Extinction Rebellion taking to the streets and Vegan Munch just down the road from campus, there's never been a better time to be vegan than now. But for financially challenged students, it's not always as easy as just cutting out meat entirely, especially when it gets in the way of your post-Fab Roosters. However, there are a whole load of UoB vegan food bloggers who definitely prove that you don't necessarily have to splash the cash to save the planet – meet five UoB vegan Instagrammers who'll sort you out with some fab dinner inspiration for the rest of the year.

@princesshoumous

View this post on Instagram

? lentil & baked veg pot ? This was a bit of a slap-dash meal that ended up being one of my fave creations!! Will make again asap. Ingredients: • 2 cups of red lentils • 1 red onion • 3 cloves of garlic • 5 large tomatoes • 1 red chilli sliced • 2 aubergines sliced • 1 cauliflower broken up • HARISSA! (see my 'blackened aubergine' post on how I make my harissa) TOPPINGS: • tahini • guacamole • olive oil • spring onion • vegan mayo/coconut yogurt • sesame seeds • fresh coriander Method: Make the harissa first. Chop the aubergine into circles and the cauliflower into florets. Coat in the homemade harissa and plenty of olive oil before placing on a baking tray. Bake for 40ish mins, turning half way through. Fry the onion, garlic and chili for around 5-10 mins before adding the lentils and pour in enough water to cover the lentils. Add the tomatoes after about 5 minutes and plenty of salt. Cook until the water has absorbed. Finally, add the baked veg to the top of the lentil base and top with tahini, sesame seeds, coriander, vegan mayo and spring onion !!! #vegan #veganfood #veganfoodlovers #veganrecipes #aubergine #cauliflower #vegansofig #comfortfood

A post shared by ? princess houmous ? (@princesshoumous) on

View this post on Instagram

? RAMEN!! ? I always forget how long this one takes, but it's definitely worth it. One of my favourite meals, and so customisable. Ingredients: • 2 chestnut mushrooms (for broth) • miso paste (2 tsp) • 1 aubergine cubed small • 1 clove of garlic • finely chopped ginger (lots!) • veg broth (from scratch is ideal) • half a block of firm tofu cubed • enoki mushrooms!!! hard to find but amazing • 1 spring onion chopped • sesame oil + soy sauce • ramen noodles ???????????? METHOD: 1. Start by frying the tofu (after it's been pressed and cubed), for 10 minutes, turning regularly. Remove from pan and keep to one side. 2. Dice the chestnut mushrooms realllyyy small and fry in sesame oil until reduced a bit. Remove from pan and keep to one side. 3. Fry the cubed aubergine in sesame oil with 2 tsp of miso paste (until really soft), add the garlic and ginger. 4. Cook the ramen noodles and broth together for about 5 mins – and add the cooked diced mushrooms to this broth. 5. Add the noodles and broth to the miso aubergines. 6. Serve with the fried tofu on the top, with the enoki mushrooms (can be eaten raw or fried for 1 min), and the spring onions. #vegan #ramen #plantbased #mushrooms #yum

A post shared by princess houmous (@princesshoumous) on

The aesthetic value of @princesshoumous will definitely elevate your feed – get ready for lots of mediterranean veg used in super creative ways, alongside some vegan takes on British classics, and a dab of asian inspiration too. The recipes might not always be the best for a quick tea after a day of lectures, but they're a great go-to if you want a good long cooking session on a weekend – and trust me, the flavour pay-off is so worth the time invested.

@nutritinina

View this post on Instagram

homemade choc chip banana bread ??? yummiest way to use up black bananas at the end of the week and tastes soOoOo peng !!! ??? recipe below ? • Ingredients: 3 X (very ripe!!!!) bananas, 2 X cup self-raising flour, 1/3 X cup oil/vegan butter, ¼ X cup soya/almond milk, 1/3 X cup maple syrup (or coconut sugar if you prefer), 1 X tsp baking powder, 1 X tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 X tsp salt, 1 X tsp cinnamon, ¼ X cup chocolate chips Method: 1. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease loaf tin with vegan butter. 2. Mash bananas in a large bowl until smooth. Add oil/butter, maple syrup and milk and mix. 3. Gently mix in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to mixture little by little until fully mixed (don’t worry about flour lumps, these are okay). Gently fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix. 4. Pour mixture into greased loaf tin and bake in oven for approx. 1h15mins, or until knife comes out clean (if the banana bread is going too dark on top after around 50 mins, put a sheet of foil over the top and continue baking). BAKING TIP!!!!!?? when u take your bread out of the oven, open the oven door v v slowly and remove the cake slowly. this will help to stop the cake from sinking ? • • • #veganrecipes #veganfoodporn #veganuk #plantbased #vegan #bananabread #chocolate #chocolatechip #veganbaking #vegantreats #vegancake #foodporn #dairyfree #freefrom #homemade

A post shared by christina??‍?? (@nutritinina) on

View this post on Instagram

sticky udon noodles ??? takes 15 mins and perf for nights when you’re only cooking for yourself ?? recipe below???? • Ingredients: 150g Ready to wok Udon noodles 2 Cloves of garlic (sliced into thin discs) Half a bell pepper (sliced into matchsticks) 1 Carrot (sliced into matchsticks) Handful of chesnut mushrooms (quartered) 2 Pak choi stalks 2 Spring onions (sliced into strips) 1 Tbsp soy sauce 1 Tsp brown rice vinegar Half a red chilli (minced) 1 Tsp sweet chilli sauce Olive oil Method: 1. Drizzle a little olive oil in a pan and fry your mushrooms, pak choi, peppers and carrots until they are soft. Add the garlic discs after about 5 minutes. 2. Add the soy sauce, brown rice vinegar and sweet chilli sauce and mix into the veg well. Add half of the spring onion. 3. Add the udon noodles and cook for about two minutes, combining them with all of the veg and sauce. 4. Dish up and sprinkle with the remaining spring onions to decorate! Enjoy. • • • #foodinsta #veganfoodblog #veganrecipes #vegan #veganuk #homemade #veganfood #plantbased #veganinspiration #plantbasedmeal

A post shared by christina? (@nutritinina) on

@nutritinina is a jack of all trades, and the tasty mix of sweet treats, yummy curries and creamy pasta goodness definitely proves that the vegan diet can offer versatility. Although she's a third year student at UoB, she also posts some banging London based vegan restaurant spots on her story, so definitely keep an eye out if you're ever looking for a plant-based bite in the big city.

@rosscooksveganfood

@rosscooksveganfood is a great example of what it's like to realistically live life as a UoB vegan student, and is a great place to scout for a scrummy weeknight tea. There are absolutely no pretensions with this account – just good, hearty, homemade food that everyone from novice cook to professional chef can enjoy. A lot of the meals are also pretty heavy on the plant-based protein too, so great inspiration if you're wanting to keep up on those gains.

@what_sophs_eats

View this post on Instagram

?Lunch at @wasabi_uk ? ?I’m really loving Wasabi at the moment they have such good food available and amazing vegan options? ?Today I had this Teriyaki tofu rice bowl filled with loads of veg: edemame, carrot shreds, cabbage, green leaves, butternut squash & avo??? ?The tofu was so delish and paired with the rice was even better? ?This meal filled me up for the rest of the day and gave me enough energy for the 5 hour study session my friend and I had? ?Have you ever eaten at Wasabi?? . . #veganfoodie #veganfood #veganrecipes #healthyvegan #vegangirl #veganinsta #veganuary #veganbreakfast #veganmeal #veganbrunch #veganlondon #vegansalad #veganlunch #veganprotein #postworkoutmeal #veganstudent #studentmeal #veganjunkfood #vegahealthy #freshvegan #vegansalad #rawfood #vegantofu #tofurecipe #teriyakitofu #ricebowl #veganbham #veganbirmingham #veganchinese

A post shared by Sophie ? (@what_sophs_eats) on

@what_sophs_eats is a personal fave, because there's such a great mix of healthy, homemade food and then meals out in both Birmingham and beyond – it'll definitely help you figure out where to take your parents for vegan food when they come to visit. Her feed feels super fresh, and will definitely add a pop of colour into your late night scrolling sessions. but be warned – it'll also probably make you feel guilty for sleeping through your alarm and skipping breakfast, because her morning smoothie bowls always look so goddamn good.

@megs.veg

@megs.veg describes her account as "vegan food for every mood", and more often than not, that mood is carby and delicious. There's a whole host of fresh homemade dishes that feature, alongside some gorgeous shots of local vegan meals out, but the main appeal are the fab shots of hangover scran galore – proof that vegans don't just live of carrot sticks and hummus all of the time.

Enjoy your introduction to plant-based goodness on your feed and at your uni!