Masked thug ‘hacks down’ man with machete during rush-hour

Victim rushed to hospital after attack near Marston Green this morning

attack birmingham crime crime wave hospital machete Marston Green police

A 50-year-old man was attacked by a masked thug with a machete in front of horrified commuters this morning.

The unnamed victim was rushed to hospital with serious wounds after the brutal attack just after 8am, and is said to be in a serious condition.

A 29-year-old has been arrested in connection with the attack and is currently being held in custody.

Police are seeking a second man believed to be connected with the incident who was seen running from the scene on Tile Cross Road before driving off in a blue BMW.

Photo: Richard Doyle

An eyewitness, who did not wish to be named, described the scene: “It was about 8.10am and a man walked past the shop by the bus stop and another man started chopping him.

“He wouldn’t stop. He carried on hitting him.

“His clothes were red. His arms, elbows, his back were all dripping in blood.

“It was madness. The victim was lying in the middle of the road.”

Photo: Richard Doyle

Detective Inspector Caroline Corfield said in a statement: “This was a nasty attack that happened in a busy area in broad daylight this morning.

“We’ve already had several witnesses come forward and I’d ask anyone else who has information about what happened to contact us as soon as possible.

“At this early stage we believe this to have been a targeted attack. This kind of violence will not be tolerated and we need your help to bring those responsible to justice.”

Roads in the area have been closed off in the area and buses are being diverted, resulting in heavy traffic.

Police are appealing for witnesses to call officers on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.