Review: Speedy Ortiz & Joanna Gruesome

The Hare & Hounds puts on another great show with two amazing bands.

For fans of quality live performances from slightly left of field bands, the Hare & Hounds is truly an amazing little venue that I urge you to visit.

Last Thursday saw Joanna Gruesome supporting Speedy Ortiz. The former completely blew me away. Joanna Gruesome played with such ferocity that the whole of the audience seemed completely captivated. For shoegaze and alt rock/indie fans, Joanna Gruesome are likely to be your new favourite band!

Ooh shoegazey!

They captured the energy of their 2013 LP ‘Weird Sister’ and they finished with the amazing ‘Sugarcrush’. Their performance will be hard to beat this year!

One of my new favourite bands!

Following them were Speedy Ortiz. They were somewhat calmer than Joanna Gruesome but nonetheless great.

They created a swirl of distorted guitars that was fronted by Sadie Dupuis’s understated yet entertaining voice; which made for another great performance. The amazing ‘American Horror’ was a particular highlight for me.

Overall, this was another amazing night at the Hare & Hounds in Kings Heath.

They put on amazing shows like this most nights of the week and always offer discounted student prices. So if you are bored of the typical student nightlife and can’t afford tickets for the NIA, 02 Academy and The Institute, then this is definitely the place for you!