Matty Healy Phoebe Bridgers friendship

A deep dive into Phoebe Bridgers and Matty Healy’s iconic friendship

They first became friends after sending memes back and forth to each other

Matty Healy has truly taken over everybody’s TikTok For You Pages with his auto tune moments on tour as well as for being absolutely chaotic while Phoebe Bridgers has been an icon for years and has entranced everyone ever since her first single. The two of them coming together was a dream come true for indie fans and sad boys everywhere, and when she featured in one of The 1975’s music videos, Twitter was never the same. Dubbing themselves as “the best lyricists”, here is everything you need to know about Matty Healy and Phoebe Bridgers’ truly iconic friendship:

Phoebe had been a fan of Matty Healy ‘forever’

Speaking with Dazed, Phoebe said she had been a fan of Matty and the band “forever”. She said: “Well I’ve been a fan forever. But I remember someone sent me a video of you wistfully looking out the window and Scott Street was playing in the background. And then you reached out about me singing with the 1975 and I happened to be in London. It was very serendipitous.

Matty Healy Phoebe Bridgers friendship

via Instagram @phoebebridgers

Matty said he really loved Phoebe’s music before they had met

In their joint Dazed interview, Matty said: “I remember your first record [Stranger In The Alps] had come out, and before I’d heard it George had been saying to me, ‘Have you heard this Motion Sickness song?’ So I put that album on, and I heard Funeral and was like, ‘What the f**k is this?’ For me, you only really love a piece of art when it makes you a little bit jealous.”

Matty and Phoebe became friends after sending each other DMs

Speaking with Zane Lowe for the New Music Daily feature, Phoebe revealed to Zane that she and Matty became fast friends after direct messaging each other. She said: “We started DMing. Matty told me he was a fan, and then it turned very quickly from talking a tiny bit to then completely no talking to just memes back and forth for months. He has very good taste in very obscure nerdy memes. And then I met all of The 1975 and they’re the sweetest.”

Phoebe first worked with The 1975 in 2020

Phoebe Bridgers and Matty Healy had been in contact for a few years but it wasn’t until 2020 when Phoebe first worked with the band. Phoebe worked with the band on Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America from their album Notes On A Conditional Form in 2020. In February 2020, Phoebe confirmed her feature on the album while speaking to Zane Lowe.

Matty Healy made a cameo during Phoebe’s Brixton Academy residency

In July 2022, Matty Healy joined Phoebe Bridgers on stage during her four-night residency at London’s Brixton Academy. At the end of her first show, Phoebe welcomed Sloppy Jane on stage to play strings on I Know the End and then Matty Healy appeared unannounced on the side of he stage. In true Matty fashion, he left the stage seconds later after screaming along to the song.

Phoebe appeared in the music video for I’m In Love With You

In September 2022, Phoebe Bridgers made a cameo in The 1975’s I’m In Love With You music video. Matty previously spoke about the music video and said it was a “part two of the Change of Heart video, where I was a clown and trying to chase this girl and get her back.” Phoebe shared some wholesome photos of her on set of the music video and captioned it: “Paul took these.”

Matty said that Phoebe is one of his close friends

In an interview, The 1975 frontman said that he and Phoebe are “bad at texting”. He said: “We appreciate that we’re both super busy and we’re not flaky – we’re just not good with our phones. So we communicate kind of through memes and then we will call each other and have conversations about aspirations or stuff like that, because me and Phoebe we always want to work together. In my 30s, I have made like a handful of close friends and Phoebe is one of them.”