Dad pays touching tribute to fresher daughter killed in car crash

She was hit while walking with her boyfriend

bryony hollands car crash killed sheffield fresher

The dad of Sheffield music first year Bryony Hollands has paid tribute to his talented daughter.

19-year-old Bryony was killed after being hit by a car while she walked with her boyfriend on Woodthorpe Drive in Nottingham last Friday.

Heartbroken dad Mark Hollands led the tributes to the much-loved fresher.

He told The Nottingham Post: “How can we put into words the light that was, and remains, our Bryony? A conscientious student, for sure (A* for Chemistry and Maths at A-level, an A in Music and an A for a largely self-taught AS Further Maths.)

“Prodigious in the Arts (French horn – grade 8, trumpet – grade 8, piano – grade 7, ballet – grade 6).

Bryony left, with sister Keren

He went on: “A performer on stage in local pantomimes, a youth version of Les Miserables and due to perform in Stage One Youth’s Miss Saigon less than three weeks after her tragic death, but she was so much more.

“Those that knew her will remember a young lady with a smile that would light up the room, an infectious laugh, a cheeky giggle. As one of her brass teachers said, ‘Our lessons were always such fun, illuminated as they were by her particularly sunny disposition and mischievous humour. But wow, could she play.’

“That talent led her to studying Music at the University of Sheffield where she continued to flourish in the company of like-minded and equally talented fellow students.

“A major draw for Bryony was the university’s module in music therapy through which she planned a career bringing joy and stimulation to children and adults with learning difficulties.

“Bryony was certainly a ‘giver’. Last summer she went to Ladakh, India, with a group of students from her secondary school where, among the trekking and sight-seeing, the team helped decorate a remote village school in the foothills of the Himalayas.

“Bryony’s life was touched by the love and affection of young children with so little materially, but full of joy and laughter. She longed to return there again.

He continued: “Bryony attended St Thomas Crookes church and during her year in Sheffield would often be found once a week helping provide soup and sandwiches to the homeless there.

“She was a constant friend and confidante to her elder sister. During vacations at home we would return from work to a cheery, “How was your day?” or find the washing-up done. (Yes, teenagers can actually wash-up!)

“She lit up the lives of those she met. Our loss is their loss too and the loss of those who will never know her. Our Bryony.”

A 26-year-old male is being held on suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. He remains injured and in hospital.

A Nottinghamshire Police spokesman said: “A 26-year-old man is yet to go through the custody suite after suffering a number of injuries in the incident. So officers have not had the chance to speak with the man yet.”

Police are still looking for anyone who witnessed the collision or saw a white Mercedes driving in the area.