Phineas could be banning downing pints and pitchers

The food and beverages manager is ‘reviewing it’

Phineas is a staple part of UCL student life. Pre-Loop snakebites and Friday night pitchers have become synonymous with the sweaty student experience revered by sports teams and societies alike.

However, this could all be soon to change as rumours have begun circulating that students will no longer be allowed to down pints or buy pitchers.

When The Tab asked the Phineas bar manager yesterday whether downing pints and pitchers were to be banned, they explained that the situation was being handled by the UCL Food and Beverages manager, Martin McCollam who was “reviewing it”.

While the ban is unconfirmed at this stage, sports teams have allegedly been threatened after getting slightly too loose, slightly too regularly that their boozy behaviour won’t be tolerated any longer.

Speaking to the Tab, one sports team member said: “Basically he wants to get rid of downing ‘full pints’ to discourage the lad culture associated with binge drinking.”

As can be expected, the controversial move has drawn criticism from the student body, with third year Tom asking: “How can they expect to monitor and enforce the speed at which I drink my drink.

“Banning pitchers would literally just mean people buy four pints instead.”

Mr McCollam has been approached for comment.