Byres Road is getting a massive £9m redesign

From glad-rags to riches

STV have reported that, after public consultation, Byres Road will see a full redesign.

Byres Road currently

Mainly benefiting cyclists and pedestrians, there will be reduction in street clutter, improved surfaces, and increased pavement seating and cycle routes. There are even plans to allow the community to host events in the new community areas.

It’s said that the overhaul will encompass Ashton Road car park, the Church Street triangle and corners at Chancellor Street and Great George Street, and even improve connections to Glasgow Uni.

The council have already appointed local architects Benton Scott-Simmons to prepare designs of the new street, which are set to be completed by February 2017. The plans will then be placed under community consultation before construction begins at the end of 2018.

Glasgow City Council leader Frank McAveety said: “Byres Road is a jewel in the crown of Glasgow’s economic and social life, attracting visitors from Glasgow and beyond to its attractions during the day and at night.

“This consultation process will help to ensure that it remains in this position by informing how best to shape the Byres Road that everyone with an interest in the area wants, and I would urge all stakeholders to participate.”