Girl From Nowhere

HANNAH MIRSKY reckons this play isn't perfect but it's definitely going somewhere.

Corpus Playroom, 1st October, 9.30pm, £5/6

Directed by Niall Wilson

Before the show started, my plus one described the set as “artfully messy.” This, it turned out, is an accurate summary of the entire production. It certainly packs an emotional punch: at one point I felt my stomach dropping through my gut. But this comes after an incongruous opening that foretells an evening of mocking late-sixties pretension. Most elements of this production work really well, but at times they don’t quite work together.

Girl from Nowhere is a one-woman show telling the story of Jeannie Hogan, a small-town Texas girl who moves to the big city to follow her dream of becoming a singer. So far, so cliché.

But the production plays with our expectations. Take the protagonist’s bitchy cynicism: when a teenage boyfriend tells Jeannie that she has the power to change her life, she comments that it’s “a crock of shit”. The story’s ever-darker turns were also unexpected. As Jeannie’s horrifying vulnerability becomes clear, her dream of fame becomes an obsession, with one moment coming eerily close to the familiar cry, “Don’t you know who I am?”. Victoria Rigby brilliantly depicts the character’s contradictions, from quiet, traumatised narration to tearful tirade. I wasn’t sure how much to sympathise with her. My confusion, however, was demonstrative of the show’s strength, rather than its weakness.

Some of the comedic moments work beautifully – take the shockingly dark scene in which Jeannie snorts cocaine while roundly condemning drug use on the phone to her mother.

At times, however, the comedy comes too close to satire. Jeannie’s clothes are not unlike a sixties-themed bop costume – replete with headband, flares and aviators (despite being indoors).

This kind of stereotype pervades the first half: a love interest is introduced by being compared to Mick Jagger, and an otherwise electrifying musical performance is spoiled by some odd gyrating. At these moments, the audience was laughing, but the character wasn’t in on the joke. In a show otherwise so concerned with intimacy and emotional truth, this was a shame.

At the end, Rigby came on stage, bowed to the generous applause, and told us that the show was in development and we were welcome to come for drinks afterwards and give feedback. Yes, Girl From Nowhere would benefit from some polishing. But when an unfinished show can hold an audience tingling and transfixed, it suggests that the finished article might be a bit extraordinary.

@TheTab
Heard something newsworthy?

REVIEW: Ten Plagues

Dani Cugini is confused and mesmerised by one of Cambridge’s most experimental shows to date.

Pro-Palestine Societies boycott Middle East Peace Week

They claim the talks were organised to “direct attention away from the growing success of Israeli Apartheid Week”.

and and

Tab Tries: Cambridge Escape Rooms

We got locked into several locked rooms for an hour and had to solve a series of weirdly difficult challenges to get out.

, Chief Reporter

Craig David’s Valentine’s playlist is a banger

He picked out his favourite ‘heartbreak’ tunes

Kingsland shopping centre is like a brilliant parallel universe

I can’t even find a recent photograph of it

, Chief Reporter

There’s a new app that works out what kind of dog you are

It uses artificial intelligence

, Chief Reporter

Your social media game is making you seriously undateable, says science

Don’t get caught Facebook stalking

, Chief Reporter

Checking Facebook all the time is damaging your sleep

Study finds it’s interfering with your shut eye