CWAFC Blues Smash Leicester to Win the League

FOOTBALL: CWAFC follow their male counterparts sealing promotion emphatically against Leicester.

Despite being in a tight league, Cambridge Women secured their top position on Wednesday with an emphatic 8-1 victory against Leicester.

The captain, Manon van Thorenburg, opened the scoring early in the first half, which was followed shortly afterwards by a scoring header from Amelia Southgate off a perfect corner by Lisa Furtwängler. A brief period of Leicester dominating the game led to their only goal, but the Blues swiftly turned the tables as Emma Eldridge scored a relaxed 1 on 1 against the keeper in retaliation before half time.

The second half saw Leicester collapse under Cambridge pressure, with more goals from Katie Sandford, Kate Robinson, and Amelia Southgate, who was looking for her second hat-trick this season. Van Thorenburg sealed the victory with a hat-trick of her own, however, leading her team to the top of the league and securing its promotion at the end of a brilliant season.

With an influx of Fresher talent, the team started strongly last term, coming out on top in matches against the majority of the teams they played. Their run of form faltered a little at the start of Lent term, largely due to injuries and pure bad luck, but the Blues fought hard to change the tables and stay in contention for the League Title.

It was a 2-0 victory over UEA which signaled a return to winning form, which was followed by another 4-0 win over Nottingham Trent to secure CUWAFC’s place in the race for top position in the league. The women went into the away game against Leicester in the knowledge that a win would bring league glory. Not only did they win to take the League Title, but they absolutely crushed Leicester’s women in a victory which reflects the skill, strength and commitment of the Cambridge Women’s team.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

How to attend a supervision without doing any of the work

Hungover? Tired? Just plain lazy? We got you.

Caesarian Sunday-ers of the week

Like Clubbers of the week, but messier. Oh so messier.

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support