CWAFC Blues Smash Leicester to Win the League

FOOTBALL: CWAFC follow their male counterparts sealing promotion emphatically against Leicester.

Despite being in a tight league, Cambridge Women secured their top position on Wednesday with an emphatic 8-1 victory against Leicester.

The captain, Manon van Thorenburg, opened the scoring early in the first half, which was followed shortly afterwards by a scoring header from Amelia Southgate off a perfect corner by Lisa Furtwängler. A brief period of Leicester dominating the game led to their only goal, but the Blues swiftly turned the tables as Emma Eldridge scored a relaxed 1 on 1 against the keeper in retaliation before half time.

The second half saw Leicester collapse under Cambridge pressure, with more goals from Katie Sandford, Kate Robinson, and Amelia Southgate, who was looking for her second hat-trick this season. Van Thorenburg sealed the victory with a hat-trick of her own, however, leading her team to the top of the league and securing its promotion at the end of a brilliant season.

With an influx of Fresher talent, the team started strongly last term, coming out on top in matches against the majority of the teams they played. Their run of form faltered a little at the start of Lent term, largely due to injuries and pure bad luck, but the Blues fought hard to change the tables and stay in contention for the League Title.

It was a 2-0 victory over UEA which signaled a return to winning form, which was followed by another 4-0 win over Nottingham Trent to secure CUWAFC’s place in the race for top position in the league. The women went into the away game against Leicester in the knowledge that a win would bring league glory. Not only did they win to take the League Title, but they absolutely crushed Leicester’s women in a victory which reflects the skill, strength and commitment of the Cambridge Women’s team.

Heard something newsworthy?

In their own words: The cast of Measure for Measure

‘You can often find me being too tactile in the ADC Bar.’

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

, Argument Editor

Every awkward moment after a couple in your friendship group break up

Is it acceptable to start a new WhatsApp group without him in it?

Experts say you shouldn’t ride elephants in Thailand

A tourist was killed, and the animals are often unhappy

, Contributing Editor

More people should tell Chris Martin that he’s awful

It’s the right thing to do

, Chief Reporter

Sushi could be the key to getting a second date on Valentine’s Day

Is raw fish really an aphrodisiac?

Just have a normal pancake

I don’t want your protein, or your goji berries, or your almond milk