Netball Round-up: Week 5

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

NETBALL: MICHAEL ALHADEFF reports as the Queens' and Downing juggernauts rumble on.

Downing and Queens’ continue to move in the right direction as the eventually thawing of conditions allowed a resumption of action on college courts. Such moves are happening precisely at the right time as the league moves toward the end of term.

Queens’ 23-15 Muz

Queens’ got their title challenge back on track with an impressive victory against high-flyers Muz. A high pressured game by Queens’ allowed them to take home the points. They were helped by the attacking pairing of Hannah Cahill and Becky Lawrence who were able to convert a lot of Queens’ efforts coming down the courts into goals. An almost telepathic link between Lottie Mungavin and Becky Lawrence inspired some creative balls into the circle. Meanwhile, the defensive pairing of Rose Harvey and Katie Hamilton helped repel the endeavours of Muz – the former considerably battle scared for her troubles. Queens’ are thus buoyant going into the latter stages of the term, especially as this victory avenged the sound beating last term.

Jesus  25-10 Newnham

Jesus showed no ill-effect from their extended lay-off in producing accomplished display to Newnham. Last term’s champions still have the intent to hold onto their crown and victories against the likes of Newnham will go a long way to ensuring this happen. Meanwhile, the result will have given some  thinking for Newnham to do as this setback will not want to detract from the good start they have made this term.

Downing 26-15 Catz

Downing are also showing some fine form with a confident win over Catz. They got off to a flyer outscoring their opponent 7-2 in the first quarter – a lead they were never likely to yield from then on. They were helped in part by the ease in which they moved the ball down court from GD Celia Harrison to C Philippa Geering and WA Katie Tillson who fed the ball into the shooting circle. Catz were able to put up some resistance during the second quarter, narrowing Downing’s advantage momentarily, but by the end of the third quarter Downing had widened the gap again with a series of turnovers. The match revealed the strengths in the Downing side this term with Fran Thornton and Call Harris continuing to work well together as a duo within shooting circle nipping between the Catz players, while at the other end of the court GK Emma Jenkins and GD Celia pressured the shooters with their clean marking and pulled in some super rebounds. For Catz, their shooting impressed, notably from Lexi Boreham, but the side was hampered by a lack of players for substitutions.

Emma 13-7 John’s

Emma have continued to produce some impressive displays since their arrival in the first division. They were able to edge out John’s in a close affair. The match itself struggled to settle into a rhythm as great passages of plays were broken up by scrappiness. Emma were helped by a strong display at the back with Sinead O’Dwyer putting in a strong performance at GK, her great lean really impeding the John’s shooters. There were also some great interceptions at WD from Miny Sainsbury. However, an equally strong John’s defence meant Emma were unable to fully extend their lead.

Photos courtesy of Sarah Sheldon

Facebook Twitter
  • Who

the fuck is 'Muz'?

• i guess

murray edwards?

• Probably

Murray Edwards.

• The truth

Nobody cares….

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Toffs should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’