Football Blues Seal Promotion

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

FOOTBALL: The Blues finally seal BUCS promotion after two second place finishes. RUPERT MERCER reports.

After consecutive second-place finishes, the Blues football side have secured promotion from their BUCS division, Midlands 2B.

The news came in less than dramatic circumstances when it was announced that Coventry, the Blues’ closest rivals whom they had turned over 4-2 in January, had lost to 3rd place Bedford.

The promotion marks the end of a very successful BUCS campaign for the Blues in which they’ve lost only once, 3-2 to Coventry, recording 7 wins and notching 23 goals.

The BUCS league table at close of play

The promotion will see Cambridge rise to Midlands 1A, the division in which Oxford currently lie last, having won only one fixture, meaning the Light Blues will fancy their Varsity chances.

The Varsity Match itself will be held at Cambridge City FC on Tuesday 13th March. Tickets cost £5 and can be purchased from any CUAFC squad member. The 2,500 stadium capacity and compact ground should be conducive to a great atmosphere as Cambridge go mint the big day in their best form for years.

Reflecting on the promotion, captain Paul Hartley told The Tab, “We’ve finished a close second in this league for the last two seasons and so to finally win it is absolutely fantastic for everyone involved with CUAFC.

“To do it with two league games to spare is testament to the quality we have in our squad this year; we have over 30 players that have trained all season and 25 of those have played Blues football this year.

“The commitment every one of these lads has shown throughout every training session and match over the past 6 months has been excellent; as has the efforts of our Coach, Che Wilson, Physios, Rich and Kirsty, and Club President, Dr Little.”

Facebook Twitter
  • Seal

arf arf

Heard something on campus?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Which Renaissance Pope is your college?

You’ve always wanted to know

By on

Send the No-Platformers a big, democratic middle finger

You may not like Julian Assange, but that does not mean he doesn’t deserve a platform

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

POLL: Should the Union host Julian Assange?

Do let us know

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first

By , Chief Reporter on

Happy homesick day: Today you’re supposed to hate being at uni the most

If you can’t stick it out for three weeks, you won’t last for three years

By , Chief Reporter on

I was scammed out my life savings by a fake landlord who targets students

She was forced to pay £2,300 for rent up front

By , Features Editor on

Judge Rinder thinks Law students are really really serious

Skip your lectures, he says you’ll learn just as much from his show

By , Features Editor on

Universities will be ‘fined’ for failing working class students

The ones who score badly won’t be allowed to raise their tuition fees