Football Blues Seal Promotion

FOOTBALL: The Blues finally seal BUCS promotion after two second place finishes. RUPERT MERCER reports.

After consecutive second-place finishes, the Blues football side have secured promotion from their BUCS division, Midlands 2B.

The news came in less than dramatic circumstances when it was announced that Coventry, the Blues’ closest rivals whom they had turned over 4-2 in January, had lost to 3rd place Bedford.

The promotion marks the end of a very successful BUCS campaign for the Blues in which they’ve lost only once, 3-2 to Coventry, recording 7 wins and notching 23 goals.

The BUCS league table at close of play

The promotion will see Cambridge rise to Midlands 1A, the division in which Oxford currently lie last, having won only one fixture, meaning the Light Blues will fancy their Varsity chances.

The Varsity Match itself will be held at Cambridge City FC on Tuesday 13th March. Tickets cost £5 and can be purchased from any CUAFC squad member. The 2,500 stadium capacity and compact ground should be conducive to a great atmosphere as Cambridge go mint the big day in their best form for years.

Reflecting on the promotion, captain Paul Hartley told The Tab, “We’ve finished a close second in this league for the last two seasons and so to finally win it is absolutely fantastic for everyone involved with CUAFC.

“To do it with two league games to spare is testament to the quality we have in our squad this year; we have over 30 players that have trained all season and 25 of those have played Blues football this year.

“The commitment every one of these lads has shown throughout every training session and match over the past 6 months has been excellent; as has the efforts of our Coach, Che Wilson, Physios, Rich and Kirsty, and Club President, Dr Little.”

• Seal

arf arf

Heard something newsworthy?

and

VOTE NOW: You can’t sit with us – Couples’ Edition

As we near Valentine’s Day, we present to you our best dressed couples

, Cambridge Deputy Editor

Overly affectionate Facebook couples need to stop

If you think this could apply to you, it almost certainly does

REVIEW: Ten Plagues

Dani Cugini is confused and mesmerised by one of Cambridge’s most experimental shows to date.

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo

Liverpool Smithdown house parties are hell on earth

Do you even know the weirdos you’re letting in your house?

, Chief Reporter

Craig David’s Valentine’s playlist is a banger

He picked out his favourite ‘heartbreak’ tunes

Kingsland shopping centre is like a brilliant parallel universe

I can’t even find a recent photograph of it

, Chief Reporter

There’s a new app that works out what kind of dog you are

It uses artificial intelligence