Tails of a puppy room: Can cute doggies really cure exam stress?

The pawfect cure to exam stress

It’s exam season, tension is running high and I’m not just talking about the sexual kind in the library. But luckily enough uni and the charity Guide Dogs teamed up to ensure our stress was elevated. Obviously puppies are the only option.

This is what you look like when you have a Physics exam in the afternoon. You feel like the core of a collapsing star. You’re under pressure. (Don’t worry, that’s my only Physics joke. Actually, Joe came up with that one. Can you tell I study the Arts?)

Pre-puppy room

But this is what you look like when you’re en route to a puppy room. Even when it’s raining. Even when it’s 10.30 am and you wish you were in bed. Even when you’re legging it up St Michael’s Hill.

En route to the puppy room – the excitement is real

But just like any good story, ours has a bit of drama, a bump in the road, a moment of fear. We arrived at the SU late (not our fault it’s so hard to get to), and the lady said we’d missed our slot.

Just as I was about to sound like an utter prick and try and use my Tab credentials to swing it and say I’d publicise the charity, a lovely volunteer confirmed we could go in with the next group. Disaster averted. Joe could still pass his exam (because obviously there’s a direct correlation between exam success and contact with puppies, why else are we doing this?)

A picture paints a thousand words

Time for the puppies. Stephie’s owner described her as “cantankerous” but we like a challenge. Stephie and Joe were best friends from the off. I was a third wheel. It was puppy love.

Big night at Motion last night

Sure maybe Stephie was only a puppy, sure maybe we were a little annoyed that a gaggle of girls bee-lined straight for the super-little, cute black Labrador pup before we had a chance, but Stephie was great. Unlike the really little ones who got excited by a fly and ran around aimlessly Stephie gave us undivided attention. No regrets.

Party on down

It may be a dog-eat-dog world but the people were lovely and though 15 mins wasn’t long enough Joe said afterwards: “I think my entire life reached its apex the moment I stepped in that room”. And he’s had a wild and crazy life.

Seriously though, it’s a good idea and we had a laugh. Obviously they’re a great charity and the event was free, they just asked for a £2 donation. Needless to say me and Joe will be back next year, assuming the puppies return.

For more information click here.