Uni of York staff who identify as BME earn 18.6 per cent less than white staff

And the gender pay gap is 14.8 per cent

University of York staff who identify as BME earn 18.6 per cent less than white staff when comparing median pay, a new report has found.

The gender pay gap at The University of York is also 14.8 per cent and it was found that black women earn nearly half (on average) of that of white men.

Vice Chancellor Charlie Jeffery said: “We should be transparent about the equality challenge we face, and hold ourselves accountable for bringing about the changes we need to make.”

The full gender pay gap data

The University of York Gender and Ethnicity pay gap report for 2021 has just been published and includes data on pay gaps between genders and ethnicities.

The report found the percentage of female staff at York is 56 per cent and male 44 per cent, yet the median pay gap between them is 14.8 per cent. This however, is a 3.8 per cent reduction from the 2020 figure at 18.6 per cent.

The report says: “We are pleased to see a decrease in both the mean and median pay gap.” It also provides an explanation for the gap which includes an increase in female colleagues at professorial levels and a reduction in predominantly female casual workers.

The ethnicity pay gap has also been published. Unlike the gender pay gap data, the university is not obliged to publish this information.

The report reads: “While the University if not required to publish the Ethnicity Pay Gap, we feel it is an important part of our anti racism work.”

Ethnicity pay gap data

“The University has chosen to report its ethnicity pay gap in 2021 in the spirit of openness and transparency, and to acknowledge where we need to make progress and what we will do to achieve this. ”

The report found an 18.6 per cent median pay gap between white and BME members of staff at York. Of 5,677 staff, only 628 (11 per cent) identify as BME with 4,695 identifying as white.

The report also disaggregated the BME date and calculated the data for each minority ethnic group. It found a 38.8 per cent median pay gap for those identifying as having a black ethnicity, 11.7 per cent for those identifying as having an Asian ethnicity, and 14.8 per cent for those identifying as having “other” ethnicities.

Data showing the intersectionality of ethnicity and gender in the pay gap analysis

Other findings show that black women at York earn nearly half (on average) of what white men do with a median percentage of 47.6 per cent.

Since publishing the report, the university has outlined a number of changes that will be implemented as part of its “ongoing commitment to tackling gender and racial inequality”. These include: Aiming for recruitment panels to be gender-balanced, ensuring that at a senior level equality is championed in each professional recruitment, rolling out race equality training to staff and students, and expanding its mentoring programme to enhance career progression for staff from underrepresented ethnicities.

Ethnicity and Gender pay gap data

The report also outlined a number of steps that have already been taken since the Staff Racial Equality Forum listening exercise in 2019. These included: Showcasing the contributions of staff of colour in Black History Month celebrations, improving the breadth and quality of staff data by expanding the ethnic minority categories for equality monitoring in HR systems, and streamlining the Academic Promotions process making it more transparent and actively encouraging staff from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds to apply for promotions. This has led to a 150 per cent increase in successful applications.

A spokesperson for The University of York told The York Tab: “We are starting to see the change we need, with a decrease in the gender pay gap this year, and more women moving into senior academic positions. While we, of course, pay men and women doing the same role equally, we need to work on equalising representation at all levels.

“As a community we have a firm commitment to addressing racial inequality and have chosen to report on our ethnicity pay gap to acknowledge where we need to make progress, and hold ourselves accountable for bringing about the changes we need to make. This initial data report on our pay gap provides a baseline against which we can and must challenge and measure ourselves.”

The report can be read in full here