We met the human behind The Humans of Warwick

The page aims to spread empathy around campus

You’ve probably seen the Facebook page ‘The Humans of Warwick’ flick up on your timeline from time to time and wondered who was in charge of it.

We’ve managed to get an exclusive interview with the student behind it all. Their identity must be kept secret on pain of death but we did manage to get ask a few questions of this mystery photographer and even had some of his pictures sent to us.

‘I’m not sure what to do with my future. I was planning on doing a masters in clinical or neuropsychology but with Brexit everything has changed. The university had a meeting with all the international students and told us that if we do a masters now, 2 years later we’re going to have trouble getting into the market. So what do I do? Do I apply for a job? Do I apply for masters? Do I go back to Cyprus? I have absolutely no idea. I’m completely lost. But I do feel that it will work out in the future, everything does.’

What motivates you to keep the page going?

“Meeting new people! Everyone has a story and getting to find out their story is a really unique privilege. I think we slowly start closing off from one another gradually which is sad, so breaking that tendency is a nice change. Connecting wth someone is something I think we just don’t do enough.”

What’s been your most emotional encounter?

“Well, there was one person in particular after I ended the ‘formal’ interview, we ended up talking for over half an hour just getting to know each other even more, sharing our own intimate stories. That happens quite a bit, where it stops becoming about the interview and solely becomes about two strangers connecting and they tend to be quite emotional.”

‘When in doubt, overdress!’

Have you ever found a story particularly upsetting or difficult to publish?

“There are tons of those! One of the saddest stories I’ve heard was this one person who really regretted that she didn’t save her friendship with her best friend, it was something I think that quite a lot of us have experienced, it was tough to hear. But I also admired her because of how she accepted her flaws!”

What are your plans for the future of Humans of Warwick?

“I’m hoping to interview more lecturers and staff who work at Warwick! Otherwise nothing big at the moment.”

‘Since I was 12 I had this best friend. We separated a few months ago but in a progressive way. One day I texted her because it had been 6 months since we had last seen each other, and I asked her “we will ever see each other again?” I don’t remember what she specifically answered but she said something like “yes, but we don’t have much to tell each other now”. I let so much time go by. I could have saved it.’

What’s the hardest part of running the page?

“Time! I have a lot going on whilst I’m doing Humans of Warwick. My studies, societies, job applications, so it’s finding the time to be bale to go out and talk to people! Plus I live off campus so it’s not always that easy to go onto campus.”

Is it hard to keep your identity secret or do you find most people are happy to keep you anonymous?

“It’s not too hard, everyone understands the reason for anonymity. The main reason for it is because I don’t want it to be about me, it’s about spreading empathy and connection. Everyone who knows my identity respects that.”