A-Z of Warwick University

Freshers, listen up

The run up to your arrival at Warwick has probably been filled with packing, revamping your wardrobe, and desperately trying to find, and stalk, your flatmates on Facebook.

Throw out your prospectus: it’s time to learn what Warwick is really about.

A is for: Accommodation wars

Whilst there might be a range of campus accommodation, only a few are even worth talking about. Rootes is the ultimate party house. Bluebell is for rich, international students. And Westwood? Well, it’s only worth discussion because it’s really far away- and because you have to go all the way there to get your ASOS parcels from the post room. The struggle is real.

Rootes girls are better at downing though

B is for: Bubble

Warwick campus is famous for being a little, secluded bubble. Everything you need is on campus, so much so that freshers will rarely even leave the bubble in first year.

In fact, the only times you’ll really leave our little village is for Tuesday night Smack, and when you eventually go house hunting.

C is for: Coventry

Although nobody can ever explain why, we hate Coventry Uni with a passion. We actually hate everything about Coventry, despite finding ourselves in Kasbah every Monday in first year.

Kasbah is always a winner

D is for: Dirty Duck 

Ah, the Duck! Our beloved on-campus pub never fails to give us good times, with open-mic nights, pub quizzes, and much more.

E is for: Eliminator

It’s the green jug that every student has to drink at least once in their university lives. But with rumours of Kelsey’s shutting down, you may never get the chance.

F is for: French

Everyone on the fourth floor of the library is French. Or, at the very least, speaks French. Get prepared for lots of cheek kissing.

That jawline can only belong to a Frenchman

G is for: Geese

Or more specifically, racist geese, swans, and ducks. The outrageous amount of press that our racist swans received will forever be a part of Warwick’s history.

H is for: Humanities building

The shittiest building on campus. Genuinely.

I is for: International students

One in four of Warwick’s students are international students. They’re better dressed than us, holiday in nicer places than us, and party better than us, at places like Toast.

J is for: Jobs

Warwick University breeds absolute winners. If you study here, it’s only because it’s the top in the entire universe for your course. And don’t forget: you’re going to get a much better job than all of your other friends. Because, Warwick.

K is for: Koan

As one of the most iconic pieces of artwork on campus, its existence has baffled us since the beginning of time. It will forever be a symbol – albeit a very bizarre symbol – of our uni life.

L is for: Leamington Spa

This is the only place to be once you move off campus. There is always something to do in good old Leam- so make sure you move there for second year.

M is for: Moo Bar

Pretty edgy, pretty hip, pretty cool. A nice little alternative night out in Leamington Spa.

N is for: Neon

Friday night is Neon night. Be sure to buy Uni Express tickets to get you there if you live on campus, or those highly coveted queue jumps if you’re off campus.

The only place to go on a Friday night

O is for: Oxbridge rejects

The long running joke is that lots of us are Oxbridge rejects. It’s mostly true, and it kills us inside, but we never let it show…

P is for: POP!

Wednesday nights, people.

It’s our only popular SU night, and you’ll either love it or hate it. Make sure to go circling with your society or sports team, and drink a shit ton of Purple. It’ll make sense once you get here…

Who ordered that one pint of beer?

Q is for: Question Time

Granted, the only “Q” possible. But Warwick runs a Question Time each year. This year it’s on Monday 3rd October, 6.15-7.45pm in Butterworth Hall. Sounds wild…

R is for: Rowers

They row. But they also get naked. It’s great.

S is for: Smack

The ultimate Warwick night out there is. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Smack is the night that everyone loves. GOT’s Sansa Stark even parties there.

T is for: The Copper Rooms

Most of the fresher events are held here, and I’ll be honest – it’s not great. You’ll enjoy it the first few nights, but after that it gets really shit.

U is for: U1

The U1 is the dreaded bus going from uni to Leam.

Whilst living in Leamington is all hunky dory, the U1 proves to throw all the greatness of Leam into question. It’s either late, packed, hot, cold, or all of these things at the same time.

V is for: Vice Chancellor 

We used to really dislike our Vice Chancellor, good old Thrifty. Hopefully we won’t dislike our new one quite as much.

W is for: Warwick Tens

Warwick was long known for being full of intelligent, ugly humans.  This all magically changed in 2014, where it was announced that Warwick had about 12 good looking people. For the rest of you don’t worry, it’s the personality that counts guys…

X is for: Xananas

It will take you a while to learn how to pronounce it, but even if you don’t, the food is great. Definitely book your flat Christmas dinner here.

Y is for: Year abroad

Warwick has partners all across the world. From Monash in Australia, to Descartes in Paris, it couldn’t be easier to take a year abroad as a part of your studies at Warwick.

Z is for: Zeeman building

Not sure what this is? That’s because it is more commonly known as the Maths building.