Is it okay for guys to drink rosé?

They’re calling it ‘brosé’

national

Tired of drinking Stella boys? Or is that lush tinny flavour of Carling not quite living up to your standards? This summer has seen the rise of brosé, as more and more guys ditch the lager for a bottle of the pink stuff and embrace their inner femininity.

But is it fair to think of rosé as a girl’s drink? We took to the streets of Bedford to find out what people have to say about brosé.

Matt and Joe, both 19 – Students

2013-12-31 15.54.02

Matt: “It’d be weird to drink rosé on a boys’ night out. I don’t personally feel pressured, but you do get called a pussy if you don’t have a beer. In sports you’d get ripped apart for drinking “girly” drinks.”

Joe: “Girls think rosé is more sophisticated. If a girl asked for a beer on a night out I’d respect her. I forced myself to drink beer when I was younger to make myself like it!”

Nick, 49 – Quality manager

2013-12-31 17.27.30

“I wouldn’t be judgemental if a boy drank rosé on a night out – it would just be unusual. In my younger days bars only served beer.”

Urquhart, 18 – Bar assistant

2013-12-31 15.20.04

“Rosé’s easy to get pissed on, but I wouldn’t drink it on a night out. My dad works for Stella – if a girl asks for one, she’s a winner.”

Sandra, 21 – Masters student

2013-12-31 15.25.07

“There’s a certain stigma around rosé. A guy definitely wouldn’t drink my drink of choice – a strawberry margarita.”

Shin, 22 – Student

2013-12-31 15.25.02

“Rosé would be fine to drink. Guys have a big reaction when I say I don’t like beer.”

Maxwell, 23 – Leisure manager

2013-12-31 15.28.37

“You’re asking the wrong person – I love rosé! I wouldn’t always order it on a boys’ night out though. Depends on the social situation.”

Katie, 22 – Bartender

2013-12-31 15.31.56

“Guys like to have more manly drinks – white wine and rosé are too feminine for them to handle in public. At my pub there are glasses for boys and glasses for girls. It all depends on whose ordering.”

Lucy, 48 – Secretary

2013-12-31 17.27.47

“From a teetotaler’s point of view, there are certain drinks I would find it weird for boys to drink – rosé’s ok, but a babycham would be just too much.”

Jack, 18 – On his gap year

2013-12-31 15.36.33

“It’s a lads’ thing to drink beer, ales and take shots. But I’m into girly drinks – I personally like a piña colada!”

Ed, 19 – IT technician

2013-12-31 15.42.20

“Rosé’s cheaper than beer, and it gets me drunk. Can everyone just admit beer tastes like piss?”

Jack, 19 – Virgin Media consultant

2013-12-31 15.42.37

“Everyone always thinks rosé’s a girl thing. All beer is male orientated – like how double espressos are for men and lattes are for women.”

Dave and Jane, 48 and 47 – Pub owners

IMG_1360 (1)

Dave: I’ve only just got over boys drinking wine, let alone rosé!”

Jane: “My go-to drink on a night out would be pink fizz. But I wouldn’t drink that back in Hull where I come from – I’d get the piss taken out of me!”

The Tab Warwick

last seen today at 12:20

Get breaking Warwick news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out everything going down in Leam, mad shit happening in Kasbah, and where you can find the best Purple on campus. Straight into your DMs. 😘