#MINA: Instagram Idol

With more than 6000 followers on Instagram, Warwick student Mina Alizade (@minakhanim) understands the importance of social networks in the fashion industry. The Tab had a little chat with her about selfies, inspiration and followers.

It is undeniable, Instagram is the new thing, and it has been the new thing for almost three years.

This innovative social network is the ultimate catwalk for designers, artists, models and bloggers, who measure their success by the number of hearts next to each of their pictures. Everyone uses ‘Insta’ to make their daily routine a little more artistic.

However, with more than 200 million users and 20 billion photos shared, the line between art and ridiculousness becomes more blurred everyday. Is Instagram the ultimate portrayal of narcissism or an easier way to approach art and fashion?

We spoke to Accounting and Finance student Mina Alizade and asked how she got her 6000 followers…

How has Instagram revolutionized fashion? For me fashion is always changing. It is the inspiration that I get in the morning. For example today I wanted to  look like a rockstar.

So I opened the closet and put an outfit together and I thought ‘oh, this looks like a rockstar’, and I went out. Tomorrow, you will want to look like a hippie so you put on things that are hippie inspired, and it is still fashionable.

Instagram is changing on a daily basis and it’s updated every second. Instagram has helped us change our perception of fashion. There is no such thing as fashion anymore. It’s style and your ability to put things together that is key.

As an accounting and finance student, what do you think is the secret recipe for Instagram’s growing success?

I think the most important thing about it is its regularity. People understand that as a blogger you are serious about it.

They know that when you type Instagram there will be something new every second of every day. For someone who is forever working and doesn’t have time to go shopping or to a museum, Instagram is the perfect tool to understand the creative world.

Facebook is for your private life, twitter is for politics, and Instagram is for art.

Selfies: yes or no?

People hate selfies because they are narcissistic of course and are blinded by how vain the idea of taking a picture of yourself seems. However, selfies can be seen in a more positive light, they are just auto portraits of yourself, an easier way to explain how you are feeling or what you are doing.

They are a way to communicate yourself and I personally think it is a temporary fashion. Selfies will pass, so we should embrace its positive side like the #nomakeupselfie campaign.  

What can you learn from Instagram? 

For me Insta is a mini blog about everything. Personally I have learnt a lot about fitness and healthy living tips. You see people in the morning waking up and going to the gym and you get inspired.

It is a great way to find new artists that you would not normally read about for example. For fashion, instagram gives you tons of inspiration from all over the globe.

Favorite Instagrammers?

@whowhatwear

@Chique_le_freque

@therealoliviap

@Factsofheath

@Upclosedandstylish

@Chiaraferragni and of course if you are in  Warwick our personal fashion inspiration page : @linewarwick!