Hidden SU report reveals that over 60 per cent of you have experienced sexual harassment at NTU

The stats that NTSU don’t want you to see

A lad culture survey kept hidden by NTSU showing the extent of sexual harassment at our uni has said there will be compulsory consent classes.

For five weeks between March and April of this year, Trent students were asked to give their views and experiences of Lad Culture whether at university or in general to give the Student’s Union an idea on what was happening and how it could be dealt with.

The final report, which was issued over the summer, was blocked from being published by the SU. In September, SU President Jeremiah Anson told The Tab: “The results will not be publicly published”.

The document, seen by The Tab, shows that 70 per cent of students believe Lad Culture was prevalent on campus, 27 per cent of students admitted they have taken part in some form of Lad Culture with 62 per cent of those saying that they had chosen to be part of it.

From the 708 people that took part in the survey, over 466 incidents of witnessed harassment were reported last year alone.

86 per cent of these cases went unreported and 9 in 10 of them were while one or both parties were drunk.

90 per cent of witnessed harassment happened on nights out

The findings – kept under wraps till now – say there will be compulsory consent modules for first years as well as other measures including the provision of self-defence

The report also contained statements from victims of harassment and sexual assault.

One unnamed female undergrad said: “I was once at Ocean on a student night, and a guy grabbed me from behind and tried to put his hand up my skirt and down my underwear: when I tried to get away, he just yanked me back. When I tried to scream, he put his hand over my mouth.

“It took me elbowing him in the stomach to get him off me. When I explained what happened to my flatmates at that time, some of them laughed, and some just acted like there was nothing wrong with it.

“I have also been followed home late at night and I was petrified, I had to have the police on speed dial, ready to call if I was grabbed.”

Current VP Community Zaz Prosser told The Tab: “It became clear from the information students fed back to us, despite the unrepresentative sample, that some of our students have identified some ‘laddish’ behaviours consistent with the situation in other universities and society as a whole.

“The general issues identified in the report were therefore discussed with students and University managers in the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion working group and informed our 7 point action plan, now used by the University and fully supported by the University’s Senior Management.”

“As the information collected was deemed not representative of Trent’s diverse community and students were not told how the data gathered would be used, the results have not been approved for distribution by Nottingham Trent Student’s Union and is therefore not a Student’s Union report.

“The ‘Respect at NTU: Give it. Get it. Expect it.’ was a key message during this year’s student induction talks and has been promoted actively on campus this term.

“It has also been supported by a range of activities within the Union, supported by this year’s Exec Team.”