Brighton is the seventh best LGBT city in the WORLD

London was ranked fifth and Manchester thirteenth

Hide Images

According to Nestpick, Brighton is one of the top ten LGBT cities in the world coming in at number seven. Brighton was not the only UK city to make the list with London coming in at number five, Manchester at thirteenth, and Bristol at twentieth.

The research into each city looked at the dating scene, the openness and acceptance of the LGBT community, alternative nightlife, and the levels of hate crimes. Once totaled, a score out of 25 is given with Brighton receiving 21.80.

According to Nestpick, this is their methodology in their words:

Dating Score: Tourists and professionals are more likely to travel or relocate to cities where there is a higher chance of them developing friendships and relationships with other members of the LGBT community.

LGBT Nightlife Score: With their vibrant atmosphere and sense of inclusivity, gay-friendly parties and venues are often the beating heart of a city’s night scene. Having a particular strong LGBT night scene is what helps some cities to establish themselves as leading gay destinations.

Openness in the City Score: Feeling proud and confident in who you are is an integral part of being comfortable in a city. The openness of fellow citizens towards different orientations influences how at ease members of the LGBT community feel.

Safety: Being protected against hate crime and other forms of prejudice is necessary in order for an LGBT community to truly flourish. Being renowned for safety helps a city to attract minority orientations. For this factor the study used public data provided by police departments of each of the 100 cities on the official number of hate crimes reported in 2016 per capita. The city with the lowest number of crimes reported was awarded a maximum safety score of five, and the city with the highest number of crimes reported was awarded a minimum score of one.

LGBT Rights: The rights of LGBT citizens vary greatly from country to country. Progressive laws in certain countries such as the right to marry or adopt encourages couples and individuals to relocate to those destinations in order to benefit from those liberties. In each of the 40 countries included in the ranking, we conducted an in-depth review of regional and national legislation (as of May 2017) affecting members of the LGBT community in each of respective countries. A maximum score of 5 was awarded to countries that allow same sex marriage, adoption by same-sex couples, LGBT citizens to serve in the military, for anyone to change their gender identity, and ban all anti-LGBT discrimination.

Madrid, Amsterdam, and Toronto topped the list in first, second, and third respectively.

Even amid all of this Gaiety the Southdown livery looks colourful and cheerful

Ömer Kücükdere, the managing director of Nestpick had this to say:

“It’s no coincidence that the world’s most exciting cities have a strong LGBT community, contributing much to the dynamism, openness and prosperity which defines locations such as Madrid, Amsterdam and Berlin”

The research also took into account the recent same-sex marriage vote in Germany and thus changed their scores accordingly.

Brighton Pride will be held 4th-6th August.

The full results can be found here.

The results were released to commemorate the Stonewall Riots back in 1969. The riots were a spontaneous demonstration against a police raid at the Stonewall Inn, Manhattan. Police were to arrest anyone that they suspected of being part of the LGBT community, a community that were persecuted back then.

After refusal and tensions rising, violence broke out which led to a few days of rioting. It is widely considered that this was the moment in which LGBT liberation movements were formed that continue to fight for equality of rights today.