A guide to alternative nights out in Glasgow

Bored of the same old same old? Us too

Glasgow is renowned for its buzzing night life. However some of the best venues for a night out are cast in the shade by the more well-known clubs such as Bamboo, Kushion and Kokomo.

Although these venues can hold great nights at cheap prices for students, they can get repetitive. There are many places in Glasgow that offer a grand old time, no fake tan or heels required.

First up, Firewater, known for being filled with Alex Turner wannabe’s and Doc Marten wearers, is a great place for pre’s and a night out. Firewater Thursdays are both a blessing and a curse for students. With 89p vodka mix and non-stop Stone Roses and Arctic Monkeys, you know you’re in for a good night. Just don’t expect to make it to your lectures on Friday.

Can’t say no to £1.80 double vodkas.

Lucky 7’s on Bath Street, with its cosy and chilled atmosphere is a perfect place for drinks. Open until 11pm on week nights and 3am at the weekend. It’s the ideal places for beer lovers or if you fancy a couple of exotic cocktails. Plus the service is delightful and relaxed.

“Good Food. No frills. No fuss.”

When you feel ready you can go down the hall and take a trip next door to Flat 0/1. It’s the only club in Glasgow with a bed, swings made from sinks and Mad Dog on tap.

With its usual genre of music being deep house, Flat 0/1 are starting a new monthly event called ‘MILK’. It’s a night full of live music that you can enjoy whilst jovially sipping on either a white, pink or white russian and munching on complimentary cookies. Who would want to miss that? Double Mad Dogs at £1.35 and Frosty Jacks are on offer as well as your usual spirits and beers.

The infamous sink swings.

From drag nights to lazer parties, The Art School offer lots of different events every week in the GSA Union. The union bar has quite a bohemian feel, usually filled with art students and hipsters in general. It’s also a good place for drinks and a bite to eat. You can’t go wrong with cheap cocktails and halloumi chips. You might even be lucky enough to drink and eat whilst being accompanied by a performance art of a swing band depending on the night.

just loving life

Similar to The Art School, the Berkeley Suite at Charing Cross offers different nights out of various genres of music. During May Scotch Bonnet Records presented “Walk ‘n’ Skank” at the Suite every Thursday, providing you with the finest Reggae Music this city’s ever heard.

The club’s also had artists such as Jackmaster and Grimes play DJ sets. They’ve just started a club night called “The Watermelon Café” every Sunday, which offers ‘various styles of music with a beat’. Head down to The Berkeley Suite if you can find it, it’s disguised as an old fashioned pawnbroker.

Another well known club night called SUPERMAX.

Vegan café by day, club and gig venue by night. Stereo down Renfield Lane hosts some of the best club nights in Glasgow. Their club event “PUSH IT” has a different theme each month. In May it was movie soundtracks and on the 13th of June the night is dedicated to all things Beyoncé and Nicki Minaj.

So, if you’re fed up of spice boys and hearing Uptown Funk, tell your pals no, you’re not juicy enough, and try out one of the many alternative nights out Glasgow has to offer.