Connor Hughes’ fund reaches 25k

His family are ‘overwhelmed’

broken chris priddle Connor Hughes connors journey neck president rugby sports union Stand Tall stirling stirling university student

A fundraising campaign to support a Stirling student who was left quadriplegic after the first game of the season has passed its £25,000 target.

“Connor’s Journey”, launched to help meet rehabilitation programme costs for rugby player Connor Hughes, said they had been “astounded” by public support.

Connor playing for Stirling

The 19-year-old is recovering from reconstructive surgery he received following a life-changing accident at the first match of the season.

Now this money will allow Connor to travel to the United States and get rehabilitation at Project Walk, as well as cover accommodation costs.

Connor’s family told the Tab: “We are all absolutely astounded that we have reached Connor’s initial target so quickly and so grateful to all that have donated, fundraised and helped spread the word.

“The next step is to fundraise for the home gym and the training equipment Connor will need to maintain his fitness regime after his visit to Project Walk.

The fundraising now means Connor can get the support he needs from project walk

“We are sure it won’t end there, Connor wants to keep fundraising to help others in his situation and contribute to relevant research.

“On a final note we are all overwhelmed by the generosity of folk.”

Stirling University sports clubs were behind many fundraising efforts for Connor, from hosting sports quizzes and selling wristbands to selling off rugby players at a slave auction.

Stirling’s sports president Chris Priddle, said: “You’ve seen the effort that the clubs in the university have gone to to support him.

Sports president Chris Priddle said there’s still a long way to go

“They’ve really gone the extra mile, with things like trying to sell the bands, doing all sorts of hard work. Other clubs in the university have got on the bandwagon and they are really behind them.

“It’s fantastic to reach the total. But there is still a long way to go.”