LGBT President resigns after Union forces straight people onto committee

The society is also now disaffiliated from the Union

LGBT stirling Uni Union

President of LGBT has resigned after receiving criticism over the society’s constitution.

Michael Wilson came under fire when the society disaffiliated from the Union when the Union blocked committee elections and postponed them until mid-November.

The Union put huge amounts of pressure on Michael to pass an amendment allowing heterosexual members on the committee.

When he did so he received enormous criticism and caused a huge amount of upset.

Michael decided to resign as President to let the society take a new direction

Many members of the LGBT community on campus didn’t believe straight students would understand the problems faced by LGBT youth.

A society member who wishes to remain anonymous commented: “The LGBT society should always be a safe space for people who are sometimes vulnerable and so far this semester it hasn’t felt like one at all.

“Michael has behaved unprofessionally and I am glad he has taken comments on board and resigned. I look forward to my society once again becoming the one I’ve loved for many years.”

Very accurate depiction of said anonymous person

Now the society’s future remains unstable, as it is still not re-affiliated with the Union (which was always the plan) and is now in limbo.

The old committee has been dissolved, causing panic and, quite frankly, pissing off its members.

Michael Wilson stepped down as the President last Monday after the string of cock-ups.

During Monday’s meeting, members were promised they would be emailed with a copy of the constitution so they could address their concerns and email it back to the LGBT Liberation Zone Officer, Charlie Myron.

But this email, along with others, was never sent.

Michael said: “I stepped down as President last week so the society could turn over a new leaf and so the society can move on.”

Despite several attempts to get in contact, the Union responded: “No one is available to comment.”

The re-elections for the committee will take place at the next meeting on Monday at 6pm.