LGBT society walks out on bumbling Union

‘It feels like one rule for us, and another rule for everyone else’

| UPDATED exclusive LGBT society michael wilson NUS stirling university students Union

The LGBT society is disaffiliating from the Union, the Tab can reveal. 

Following several community cock- ups they’ve finally had enough and decided to go it alone.

The Society’s president, Michael Wilson, said: “We tried to come to a reasonable solution but the Union have forced us into disaffiliating.”

The revelation comes following reports that Stirling student’s union has treated the society unfairly, and prevented them from holding elections to organise the society properly until mid-November.

Union president has suggested holding talks with the society after the mid semester break

And members are angry at the Union’s decision to reject their constitution and postpone elections until it is amended, whilst allowing SUDS (Stirling University Drama Society) to hold elections before passing a constitution.

Michael said: “The union’s decision to postpone the elections was utterly wrong, especially considering they let the Drama Society- SUDS- get away with it.”

Now following complaints made to NUS LGBT officer Robbie Young, the NUS plan on sending delegates to Stirling to resolve the issue.

The Union have received criticism for being inconsistent with the rules

Michael summarised the situation by saying: “It feels like they have one rule for us, and another for everyone else.”

Michael, a Philosophy, Politics and Economics student continued: “The problem is the Stirling Student union overstepping the mark and intervening in our Society too much.

“For example, the Union were forcing us to allow non-LGBT people on the committee, and whilst we welcome non-LGBT members we just don’t want them leading the society.”

Michael Wilson feels the Union are consistently mistreating the LGBT society

Since the Union blocked the LGBT societies attempts to form a permanent committee, Michael has been left running the whole society himself.

And Michael feels the whole ordeal has made his health suffer significantly, he said: “The Union have not had a single thought for my health in this entire process, even though they are aware I’ve been struggling.

“I’ve ended up severely ill, and in some cases in hospital, as a direct result of this added stress I am under from the Union.”

Nathan Moore, the society’s men’s rep, said: “I am not clear on the motives of why the union has blocked the society, but the union has provided no justification for their actions.

“If there was legitimate reasons to block the society, why were they not made clear to us?”

Stirling’s student union traditionally has a reputation of promoting equal opportunities but here they seem to be stifling them

Nathan, who is also a third year Biology student, continued: “I am aware that the society has been opposed and constricted by the Union for the past three years, so a change is needed.”

The Society’s decision to leave the Union and go it alone represents the second set-back in as many weeks for Stirling’s Student Union, following an embarrassingly low by-election turnout.

The Union refused to comment on claims of homophobia, but did take time to comment on The Tab: “In following the stories reported since the beginning of semester and also those of The Tab at other universities, I have found myself feeling uncomfortable about their content.

“I am apprehensive that other students feel the same way, and that my association with The Tab would give an element of tacit approval for the current content and style of presentation.

“I will keep an eye out on the articles should the content and perception of the Tab Stirling become a more positive and inoffensive platform.”