Freshers’ Plays 2011: An Evening of One Acts

The Freshers’ plays have become an annual tradition at St Andrews. They are all about fostering an active theatre community within the student body. Often, people who have never participated […]

The Freshers’ plays have become an annual tradition at St Andrews. They are all about fostering an active theatre community within the student body. Often, people who have never participated in acting before will strike up their first part through this venture. This of course lends to the evidences of amateurism throughout the productions, but it also adds to their appeal.

Last night, I saw An Evening of One Acts, which was exactly that–three one-act plays back to back. The first play, which was actually written by a Fresher, was entitled The Beginning. It served as a sort of meta-theatrical twist on the Garden of Eden story, which was confused as to whether or not it was a morality play, but which was redeemed by a feisty ex-protégé turned rogue stage manager. (You just have to see it.)

The second play was, to put it kindly, a shakily-handled version of Tennessee Williams’ Now the Cats with Jewelled Claws. Let’s just say the huge, oversized white bunny in the room was never dealt with in any specific way. 

Despite being somewhat weighed down by prolonged scene changes, A Time for Farewells, the third and final play, was clearly the triumph of the night.  I was astounded to learn that the highly-capable protagonist of A Time for Farewells was playing in her first ever lead role.

After each of the first two plays, the actors and actresses would come join the audience.  As the night progressed and the crowd continuously multiplied with pats on the back and “well dones” abounding, one certainly felt the community accomplished through these productions. And I couldn’t help but be endeared by the spirit of the night, if not always the ability. Boston Marriage, the final Freshers’ play is being performed the 4th December and the 5th December. These are productions that are well-deserving of support, and I think you’ll find them freshly entertaining as well.

Written by Garrett Turner, standing-room-only writer