Five things you must do this week

1) Go Hard or Go Home: Wishing it was still Raisin and you could dance like crazy in that grimy basement you found yourself in on a Sunday afternoon? WE […]

1) Go Hard or Go Home: Wishing it was still Raisin and you could dance like crazy in that grimy basement you found yourself in on a Sunday afternoon? WE GO HARD is just what we need after a week of dark library times. It’s a new electro house, hiphop, reggae and dance night in Catch on Friday featuring five of our favourite djs in one electic mix – Calum Byrant, Dan Matthews, Sam McColluch, Matty Gavris and Tom Burns.  Tickets will be £5 on the door. 

2) Dragon’s Dungeon: On Friday night, witness the Boat Club, Polo Society, Debating Society, Women’s Hockey, Snowsports, SVS, Rogue  and Bubble TV battle it out for £1000 worth of investment in their society – £500 cash and £500 of sponsored goods. Ripe4, a leading UK recruitment specialist, and the Union have teamed up to pit societies against one another in the Den. Three reps from each of the societies that made it through the application process have 10 minutes to present a development plan to five Dragons from Ripe4 and the Union. Watch tempers flare, dreams scuppered and, for one, lucky society £1000 worth of investment and the opportunity to be headhunted upon leaving St Andrews. The Den (Venue 1) opens at 18:15 this Friday and entry is free.

3) Winter Fayre: St Andrews Charity Association is hosting the Winter Fayre in Venue 1 this Saturday. Keeping us cheerful with mulled wine and carol singers, the annual jumble sale has a variety of festive goods from clothing to books to Christmas decorations and cards – and all the proceeds go to charity. The Fayre even has a gift-wrapping service… Is it too early to watch Love Actually?

4) Lawyers and mince pies: Meet St Andrews’ graduates who have gone on to sell their souls and are now practising lawyers in the UK and across the pond. This Friday, Law Society presents: ‘Applications to US Law Schools’ at 2pm in School 1, featuring live video links with Law Admission Tutors from the Universities of Michigan and Pennsylvania, and ‘Applications to UK Law Schools’ at 4pm in School 1, including presentations from BPP Law School, live video links with students from the College of Law. This will all be washed down with mulled wine, cheese and festive food at the LawSoc Christmas Social in the Byre at 8.30pm.

5) Art {A Play by Yasmina Reza} goes up this week in the Barron Theatre on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7pm. Described by the Times as a ‘remarkably wise, witty and intelligent comedy, “Art” has touched a universal nerve’. Friendships find themselves on shaky ground when Serge purchases a work of modern art, “a piece of white shit”. Lines are drawn and the friends square off over the canvas, using it as an excuse to relentlessly batter one another. A powerful drama – read the Director’s Diary. Tickets are £5 and can be bought on the door each night.