Crayfishin’ it

I hate seafood. I’m not Swedish, Norwegian or Danish. But the Scandinavian Society’s Crayfish Party was still a fucking great time. We arrived at the Byre – much to the […]

I hate seafood. I’m not Swedish, Norwegian or Danish. But the Scandinavian Society’s Crayfish Party was still a fucking great time.

We arrived at the Byre – much to the obvious dismay of their regular Friday night patrons – to a wine reception where casual mingling and wine glasses 1 and 2 set the tone for a wonderful evening.

After being run through the rules – the standard ‘don’t stand on chairs, flip tables or rip toilets out of the wall’ – the crowd moved upstairs to the Studio theatre where our assigned seats and a shot of vodka awaited us. Usually, the prospect of an assigned seat is one that I don’t enjoy. This time, however, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by two charming Norwegian men and glasses 3, 4 and 5.

I learned the ins-and-outs of cracking open a Crayfish – which, I must admit, wasn’t my favourite. But, as I mentioned above, I hate seafood anyway.

Swedish drinking songs accompanied by another round of vodka shots provided a nice intermission halfway through dinner, naturally.

The rest is a bit fuzzy…but there was dancing and several infractions of both chair and table rules.

Overall, the night was really enjoyable. The only complaints I can think of were some technical problems with the music and the fact that I felt the need to eat my weight in Tesco value cookies to solve the issue of Crayfish-induced starvation.

I give the event 4 stars and definitely recommend getting a ticket next year – whether or not you’re into freaky crab-like cuisine.