Christmas is Coming, the Goose is Getting…..Bored?

The standard pre-Christmas rant. No newspaper, magazine or indeed website is complete without it. Now usually, I am all for the premature gaiety and merriment. A couple of years ago […]

The standard pre-Christmas rant. No newspaper, magazine or indeed website is complete without it. Now usually, I am all for the premature gaiety and merriment. A couple of years ago I’d quite happily stagger down the road drunkenly slurring the words to ‘Jingle Bells’ at any time of the year.

The concept of Christmas really has been taken too far.

But age seems to have hardened me, and meeting three separate friends during one recent trip to town, all of whom asked me if I was doing Christmas shopping was a step too far in my book. I think I’m becoming my dad.

Of course, it’s expected that shops will advertise the festive season in advance. However seeing the decorations dragged out mid-October  just about kills the mood, meaning that come December the majority of joyful celebrators are running low on the joy aspect. There’s only a certain amount of times you can sing along to ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ without bordering on partial insanity.

As soon as Halloween is over, everyone seems to be at a loss. The ghost costumes have been stored, sweets eaten, houses cleansed of toilet paper tee-pees and pumpkins have gone off. So what can we look forward to now? What can we distract our children with the thought of during those cold winter days and nights? Oh yes, Christmas.

The premature festivities are even evident on campus. Trees are decked with blue lighting around Highfield. Now admittedly these do look pretty and brighten up the otherwise virtually pitch black paths at night, yet the question of necessity must be considered. Surely university staff have more pressing matters to deal with, like monitoring lecture attendance and actually getting SUSSED to work?

As usual, Facebook also provides a key method of release for this ludicrously early excitement. Statuses such as: ‘OMG just bought my advent calendar, yummm’ and ‘so excited 4 Crimbo, cnt wait much longa’ are already littering my homepage. Hate to disappoint you love but you’re going to have to wait longer. A month and a half longer to be precise.

Shoot, ONLY a month and a half?! I really must get back to writing my Christmas list.