Our Bodies Our Streets launches fundraiser to fight sexual harassment in Sheffield

It’s entirely volunteer-run and has no permanent income

A crowdfunding campaign has been launched to support Our Bodies Our Streets, a group working to change the “culture of public sexual harassment in Sheffield,” according to their Just Giving page.

The group was founded by Evie Hairsine, a second-year Politics and International Relations student at the University of Sheffield. With campaigns such as the Light Up The Parks petition, they aim to “empower people to exercise outdoors in Sheffield without fear of street harassment.”

Evie Hairshine, Founder of Our Bodies Our Streets

The Light Up The Parks petition, which has so far reached over 4000 signatures, urged the council to increase lighting in Sheffield parks to improve safety for women walking at night. However, when the council’s response was to “walk in pairs,” the group launched the Safer Parks After Dark project to create temporary light intervention to protect women at night.

Our Bodies Our Streets is entirely volunteer-run and has no permanent income. Projects such as Safer Parks After Dark require funding, so the group has set up a Just Giving page where people can donate. Their goal is £500 and they are currently 95 percent of the way to their goal with £477.

Our Bodies Our Streets Crowdfunding Campaign 

Sheffield is one of the greenest cities in the UK, but women are prevented from fully enjoying the outdoors because of the lack of lighting in Sheffield’s green spaces.

In light of the Sarah Everard murder, many are asking how they can help women feel safer. On the campaign’s Just Giving page, Our Bodies Our Streets says: “If you identify as an ally, donating is a great way to help be a part of this change.”

Donate to the Just Giving page here.

Other articles: