Sheffield is officially in the new Tier 3: Here’s how it affects students

It’s the toughest restrictions of any tier

Sheffield is to be in the new ‘very high’ tier 3 category for coronavirus restrictions, the government announced today.

It is the strictest of the three tiers and means pubs and restaurants will remain closed when the second lockdown ends, apart from delivery and takeaway.

Household mixing indoors is banned and indoor entertainment venues remain closed.

The rule of six still applies for outdoor public spaces like parks, as long as social distancing is followed.

Coronavirus infection stats, the rate amongst the over-60s, and the pressure on the local NHS are all considered when placing a region into tiers.

Elsewhere, London and Liverpool avoided the toughest restrictions and were placed in tier 2, meaning pubs and restaurants can open with restrictions.

Regions placed in tier 1 can mix households indoors and have limited numbers of spectators to sporting events.

It comes after hundreds gathered in Kelham Island for an illegal Halloween rave and a Sheffield Hallam staff member sadly passed away from coronavirus.

Cases at both Sheffield Universities have been on the decline after the University of Sheffield peaked at over 100 cases in just one day on Monday 5 October.

If you go to the University of Sheffield you can find the latest coronavirus information here, and if you go to Sheffield Hallam you can find it here.