University of Sheffield coronavirus cases pass 700 after 109 recorded in just one day

Local lockdown pending

The University of Sheffield has recorded 733 positive coronavirus tests from students between Monday 28 September and Wednesday 7 October, according to the website tracker.

On Monday 5, there were 109 new cases amongst students and one new case from a member of staff.

It comes after warnings from Sheffield’s health boss that it is ‘inevitable’ the city will be plunged into local lockdown.

Universities around the UK have turned to online teaching, and the University of Sheffield has put face-to-face teaching on hold until 18 October.

The break will be used to put additional risk mitigation measures in place so that in-person teaching can resume safely.

The university, which is typically home to around 29,000 students and 8,000 staff members, said it is providing “practical and emotional support” to all students who are having to self-isolate.

A spokesman said: “We recognise how difficult it is for students who are new to Sheffield and need to self-isolate because of Covid-19 cases.

“To make sure we are supporting students in the best way possible, we will contact all students who are self-isolating to check on their welfare and offer practical and emotional support.

“We will also make sure that all students know how to access our mental health and wellbeing services while isolating.”

He added: “We are in regular contact with Sheffield City Council, Public Health England and other partners to make sure that we are sharing information about the local situation and responding to the latest guidance.”