Image may contain: Trademark, Logo

This is what’s going on for Our Mental Health Week

There’s even a singing workshop

To coincide with World Mental Health Day on Wednesday 10th October, Katharine Swindells – the SU's Welfare Officer – has launched Our Mental Health Week (OMHW) to promote and support student wellbeing.

Aimed at both students and staff, the aim 'is to bolster a dialogue around mental health, and destigmatise mental illness in our community.'

Here at The Sheffield Tab, we're passionate about raising the platform of mental health and helping those who are most in need of support.

So here is our rundown of some of what's going on during OMHW to make sure you don't miss out on the amazing events on offer.

‘The Steps to Positive Wellbeing’ with Sheffield MIND

Monday 8th from 12-2pm in Portobello – Seminar Room B57b

Representatives from the mental health charity MIND will be delivering a practical guide on mental health with the opportunity for audience discussion and participation.

This will be a great opportunity to hear about mental health from trained professionals and dispell all of the myths floating around about how to look after yourself.

Alcohol Abuse and Mental Health Debate

Monday 8th from 7:30-8:30pm in the SU Discovery Room.

The Debating Society and Mental Health Matters have partnered up to hold a debate on the narrative linking success to substance abuse.

This debate will challenge exisiting perceptions about drugs and alcohol and try to highlight their connections to mental health and success.

Singing for Wellbeing

Tuesday 8th from 10:30am-12pm in the Firth Court Council Room

A workshop on how singing can relax you both physically and mentally, build confidence and manage anxiety.

No experience is required, just head down and enjoy an hour and a half of singing and musical fun.

Masculinity and Mental Health Panel

Tuesday 9th from 6:30-7:30pm in Octagon Meeting Room 2

Dr Kitty Nichols, Beren Madison and Charlie Newhall are hosting a discussion on men's mental health and the stigma surrounding it.

With speakers from the Sociology Department, the Welfare Committee and the Rugby Union Football Club – there are so many avenues for a really helpful and inspirational conversation.

Effective Self-Care Workshop

Wednesday 10th from 1-2pm in the SU Gallery

Katharine Swindells and Mental Health Matters will be running an interactive workshop to help you practice truly effective self-care.

With activities from colouring to journaling, it's a relaxing and helpful session not to be missed.

Loving yourself (and cake) when you’re LGBT+

Thursday 11th from 11am-12pm in the SU Gallery

The LGBT+ Society are running a cake decorating session while also talking about how your can look after yourself as an LGBT+ activist or student.

This is sure to be a hugely helpful and fun session.

Design the Varsity Shirt! Sport & Mental Health Discussion

Thursday 11th

Sarah Morse, the SU's Sports Officer, is holding a workshop to give students the opportunity to design the new Varsity shirt!

No creative experience is required, just come along and contribute your creative ideas while also having a chat about how sport can promote positive mental health.

Meditation

Friday 12th from 1-2pm in Firth Court Seminar Room F02a

If you've never meditated before and want to find out more, or if you're a seasoned-pro who can mediate for hours – it doesn't matter because this workshop is open to everyone.

Spots are limited so check the Facebook page for more details on when tickets are released.

Alcohol and Mental Health Workshop

Friday 12th from 6-7pm in Gallery Room 3

The Welfare Committee and Mental Health Matters are holding a discussion on the links between alcohol and mental wellbeing.

They're hoping to challenge assumptions regarding alcohol and give you practical advice on how to drink sensibly or be sober without fear of judgement.

Mocktail Lounge X Mental Health Matters

Friday 12th from 7-10pm in Coffee Revolution

Mocktail Lounge is collaborating with Mental Health Matters to host a night of amazing alcohol-free cocktails, live music and a talk on mental health.

Entry is free and everyone is welcome.