Image may contain: Person, People, Human

UPDATE: University and SU provide joint statement regarding attack on SU Officer

It comes after the development officer was physically assaulted at Pop Tarts on Saturday

The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Students' Union have released a joint statement after Megan McGrath, the SU's development officer, was physically attacked at Pop Tarts over the weekend.

We reported yesterday that Megan had been hit in the face by a member of the Medic's Rugby Team in an "unprovoked attack".

It's since emerged that the alleged attacker has since been suspended following the launch of a police investigation into the attack.

Just two days after International Women's Day, I was assaulted by a male student in the Students' Union in a completely…

Posted by Meg McGrath on Sunday, March 11, 2018

The joint statement from the SU and the University reads:

"We were dismayed to hear that an unprovoked physical attack was made against a Students' Union Officer in our Students' Union building on Saturday 10 March. We are treating this with the utmost seriousness.

"The safety of our students is our primary concern, supported by our zero-tolerance approach to violent behaviour. This isolated incident is not typical of our experience here at Sheffield SU. We will act on any lessons that we learn from this.

"It is clear that neither the University nor the Students' Union will tolerate behaviour which undermines the safety and respect of members of our student community and the alleged attacker has been suspended pending a police investigation. Members of staff who witnessed the incident will provide full assistance to the police."

Image Credit: Megan McGrath