Men’s Hockey team raise over £5,500 to rebuild their club

Their kit got destroyed when their coach went up in flames

A jaw-dropping £5,700 has been raised for the UoS Men’s Hockey team after their coach burst into flames on their way back from an away day in Manchester last Wednesday.

Nobody was harmed in the accident, however, all but five hockey sticks of their kit were destroyed in the flames. Roughly £40,000 of club and personal hockey equipment, as well as £30,000 of personal belongings were destroyed in the fire.

Flames engulfed the bus

Luckily insurance will cover a lot of this, yet it won’t cover the full amount or excesses, so a JustGiving page has been set up to help get some emergency kit.

The amount raised brings them over half way towards their goal of £10,000. The team have said their first aim is to replace the three goal keeper kits that were lost.

The remains of their keeper kit

With BUCS fixtures in less than two weeks it is critical that the teams get equipment as soon as possible so they can train. In true sportsmanlike style, the Hallam hockey team have offered to lend the UoS kit while they raise funds.

The team have received 129 donations so far, including a mammoth £2,500 from an anonymous donor.

In response to all the donations the Club said: “Your generosity is overwhelming, this means so much to the club and all its members! The club will be back to normal soon and every point we win is because of your help. Thank you so much. #hockeyfamily

To help the hockey team out, donations can be made here.