Tramlines is the biggest urban inner city music festival in the country

100,000 people flock to the steel city over the weekend

Sheffield’s Tramlines has been revealed as the biggest inner city music festival in the UK.

Tramlines organisers have announced that the annual music festival has beat its closest rival, Liverpool’s Sound City, in terms of visitor numbers.

With the likes of Dizzee Rascal, Catfish and the Bottlemen and Kelis all headlining the main stage this year when the festival returns from Friday 22 July to Sunday 24 July, Tramlines bosses hope the news will cement Sheffield’s position as a leading music city.

Sound City attracts over 50,000 over two days, whereas the Steel City event brings in 100,000 people over its three days of live music.

Speaking of the announcement for the event now in its eighth year, organiser Alex Deadman said: “We’ve done our research and are delighted to announce that Tramlines is the biggest inner-city music festival in the UK.

“It’s excellent news for the festival – and it’s great for Sheffield too.

“Getting people into Sheffield from other areas and showing them just how vibrant the city is will hopefully encourage them to return at other times.

“All the money Tramlines brings into the city is great for businesses, especially if people return when its not Tramlines and spend money in Sheffield.”

Transforming four outdoor spaces and 15 of the city’s best venues, festival goers can also expect appearances from Jurassic 5, Goldie, Mystery Jets, Gaz Coombes, Dawn Penn, Field Music, Young Fathers, George Clinton, Parliament Funkadelic and many other acts across the weekend.

You can grab a weekend ticket now from tramlines.org.uk for £42, plus booking fee.