What do other universities think of Sheffield?

Cheap drinks and hills

A lot of us love Sheffield, it is a large reason why we chose to up sticks and move our lives here after all. But some might accuse of being biased, and maybe we are, but between the non-stop retro pop and the Corp pints we can only speak the truth.

Sometimes it can be good to seek fresh opinion from beyond the walls of our beloved city though. So we decided to ask people, is Sheffield really all the hype we give it?

Angus, History second year, University of Leeds    

“The city of hills, cheap drinks, Ched Evans, students galore, a few trams with some added heavy industrial History. Alongside Leeds, it forms a shining example of why the North is the superior half to the country.”

Claudia, Architecture second year, University of Portsmouth

“Yeah was a really good night out, good buzz, great crowd of people that were there. Music was good, venues were good and they’re all quite different from one another which is nice. The city is pretty good yeah, really artsy, it’s nice seeing the graffiti around, it definitely adds character and everything is super cheap which is also a bonus!”

Gordon, PPE third year, Oxford University

“Big city, near the peak district, used to make a lot of steel, and that’s about it”

Tristan, Film Studies second year, University of Worcester

“I liked the nightlife as the clubs were pretty cheap, big and cool, which is nice as the places in Worcester are kinda small and they’re like bars which are trying to be clubs. Also, compared to Worcester, there’s loads of choice whereas my uni there’s only two really and neither of them are that great. The city was nice as a whole, seemed to have everything a student could want.

If I could I’d have picked another uni, like Sheffield, to go to!”

Kathryn, Business and Marketing second year, University of Lincoln

“I think Sheffield as a whole is nice and pretty but I find it too big of a city for me. The shopping is really good, there is such a range of shops, especially at Meadowhall. Also, I enjoy the nightlife but not the expense of clubbing.”

Megan, English Literature fresher, University of Leeds

“Fucking hills, that’s all Sheffield is. The buses come once in a blue moon and every street is on an incline but apart from that Sheffield’s a decent student town. The night outs are fun, especially when you go to the Friery afterwards, but I guess it’s the students that make the city great.”

Dom, Ancient History third year, King’s College London

‘‘As far as the north goes, Sheffield’s not too bad. I’ve never met anyone who actually wanted to go there though, probably because a constantly moving lift is the main attraction.’’

George, Engineering third year, University of Bolton

‘‘The University of Sheffield, for the non-stereotype intellectual. The University of Sheffield is one of the better unis around, and you’ve obviously got to be pretty clever to gain a place there. Sheffield has an industrious past and the city isn’t anything special, though does has its good parts, but the university has always been highly thought of. I imagine Sheffield to be a fairly student orientated city with many of the old steel workers terraces used for student housing giving ‘student designated areas’ giving Sheffield students a real ‘university experience.’’

Lucy, History finalist, Oxford Brookes University

‘Clever people who can’t be bothered to do work and would rather drink instead, i.e. drunk slackers. Don’t forget the wannabe hipsters too – a uni filled with black skinny jeans and ‘indie’ shirts.’’

So Sheffield…

The Good:

We all love a cheap drink and you don’t have to look far

We’ve got that vibesy culture thing going for us.

The Bad:

The paternoster

Hills.

Ched Evans.

All in all, Sheffield ain’t too shabby.