Sheffield gets its own ‘Boris Bikes’

You’ll never have an excuse to be late again

bike boris bike new sheffield uni

A brand spanking new rental scheme is being wheeled out around Sheffield Uni this semester.

Keen pupils will now be able to use around 30 bikes available at five docking ports across campus.

Sweaty riders can collect and return the two-wheelers to stations at the Arts Tower, IC, Portobello, The Edge and The Ridge.

They cost £1 per hour – with the option of annual membership –  and are available 24/7.

A website and app will help manage bookings and find available vehicles for users.

Another 20 bicycles are set to be introduced soon along with three new docking stations in the city centre.

Darren Hardwick, Travel Plan Coordinator at the University, told The Tab: “Some people want to cycle on the odd nice day but don’t want to invest in buying a bike.

“We want to give people an opportunity to cycle without having to necessarily commit to doing it all the time.

“The bikes will be regularly serviced with integrated lights and a lock. Instructions and a tutorial video will be available online along with details of how to sign up to the scheme.”

The official launch will take place in September, however the bikes will be in operation from late summer.